The Crandon Earthquake 2024

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I posted on another thread, I think 2024 is gonna be a Bumpy Ride.....well, hang on!

WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAW) - The US Geological Survey (USGS) reported a 2.5 magnitude earthquake hit near Crandon Sunday morning.

Information posted on the USGS website indicated the epicenter was 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) underground and 4 kilometers (2.4 miles) northeast of Mole Lake.

It happened at 7:05 a.m. central time.

A post on the Crandon Fire Department Facebook page said it was “deep underground between Mole Lake and Lake Metonga near the Crandon Airport”.

A separate post on the Forest County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page said there had been “multiple calls regarding abnormally excessive shaking/vibration coming from the ground”.

The Forest County Sheriff’s Office told Newschannel 7 there are no reports of damage and no injuries.

The sheriff’s office said people felt it as far north as Hiles, west to Elcho, east to Lakewood, and south to Pickerel.

dfattack

little to no snow and now an earthquake in the north woods. What next?

Last edited:

russholio

There was one of similar magnitude (2.4, if I recall) a couple weeks ago in the Port Huron (MI) area.

jmvette427

Been lots of posts in Vilas county about Boom noises in the past 3 weeks . People have been saying its the ice on the lakes?? Werent we talking about ELF a few years ago? Seems kinda early for ice booms. I lived on Castle Rock Lake and only when it got super cold did i hear the ice boom.

Last edited:

wiscrev

I was in a 3.8 earthquake in St Louis back in 91 I think. No much but I thought a semi had gone down the street with all the rumbling and we lived on a side street, but then car alarms started to go off. It definitely was weird.