The Journal; Thoughts from Gracie

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Grace. I loved your dad's laugh, he and I shared so many throughout the years. This Friday the 8th will be 41 years since my dad passed, I was 14. I know what you are going through. Stay strong young lady.

Bullitt69

I am so sorry for this news, John was simply an amazing person. I too have been following him since he began this site decades ago, I remember reading about his adventures in Lake Linden and the two labs :) He was part of my journey to the UP also, his inspirations, stories and pictures fueled my passion for this peninsula, and now we live here full time.
Having been an avid visitor to this site to learn about the weather, reading his journals and forecasts, John, you will be sorely missed my friend.
I know your still with your daughter and wife, if not in the physical world.
Thank you Gracie for writing, I sincerely hope you and your mom continue with the journals, you all have been a comfort in our lives.

Nice to hear from you Gracie, our hearts ache for you and your mom
I’m going to share a video of John singing “chicken fried” from one of our Ride in pre rides.
Miss you John
🙏💜🙏💜🙏💜🙏
Hugs Gracie and Nora

SCOTTIKING OUT
Awesome! Do you have a video of him doing the bridge crossing with Yooper accent narration? That was comedy gold (couldn't find it and I know it's been requested before).

mezz

I found it, hard to believe it was done in 2014 Lets try this, I hope it works...... the voice he used reminds me of Bob & Doug Mckenzie the good ole Canadian Boys - Take off to the Great White North. Take off ehh, you hoser..... Good Stuff!

Last edited:
I found it, hard to believe it was done in 2014 Lets try this, I hope it works...... the voice he used reminds me of Bob & Doug Mckenzie the good ole Canadian Boys - Take off to the Great White North. Take off ehh, you hoser..... Good Stuff!
Yes! This one! Just fantastic (wish he would have done more like this)!

LESLIEMACLIN

Condolences to you and your Mother Gracie! I heard (and hope it's true!) that your father knew he had TONS of XC skier fans and devotees, in addition to the sled folks.... What we all share in common, and with him is joy, delight and love for snow! Us Nordic folks appreciated and valued his snow forecast accuracy and delivery! I always delighted in sharing his site with other silent sports enthusiasts (the few who hadn't already heard of it, that is!). It was also a delight to read his journals, and his love for you and your mother was so evident as we watched you grow up with a love for SNOW! Please know that John was valued and will be missed and that Snow Central will always be the pinnacle and icon for snow lovers!

kirk600

Thank you Nora and Gracie for sharing your thoughts, feelings and memories with us!
Each day is a gift, as John told you many times. We are all here because we also loved " John Dee" the person, the website, and the happiness he brought into our lives with his passion for each new day!

Thousands of miles, thousands of smiles, have been realized and cherished, because of John's forecasts that provided the data on which way to go, to get to the snow!

Kirk600

Hoosier

I don't have much to add to what others have written, but I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your thoughts in this journal. It was great to read, especially since he talked so much about you in the journal over the years.

IMHO49953

Grace, you do your family proud.
You Dad's joy of life and the smiles he brought to all are reflected in your journal entry.
My feeble attempt to encapsulate is in this phrase which I will remember any time it snows:
"Dee-Light-Full"