The Leaves - They are A-Changin'

skiroule

Sitting out on the deck the last couple of evenings it hit me how fast the leaves are changing color. Just in the last week we've gone from solid green to a lot of yellows and some reds. I know it’s still August but I couldn’t help but have thoughts of fall and we all know what follows fall.

How are things elsewhere in norhern MN and in the northwoods of WI and the U.P.? Is it too early to get excited about winter?

eao

Less sunlight result in leaves changing color, we lose 3 hrs of daylight by the end of August.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitting out on the deck the last couple of evenings it hit me how fast the leaves are changing color. Just in the last week we've gone from solid green to a lot of yellows and some reds. I know it’s still August but I couldn’t help but have thoughts of fall and we all know what follows fall.

How are things elsewhere in norhern MN and in the northwoods of WI and the U.P.? Is it too early to get excited about winter?
Ironically, the day you posted, our Heat Index was 110 in East-Central Wisconsin. "So we ain't there yet." But.......
as noted above, it's been dry here and there is a Maple across the street from us that is turning color. As with all things, Mother Nature tends to balance things out. If it isn't raining now, it might be snowing like crazy in 6 months. Let's hope that's the case.

goofy600

Cisco chain has pretty decent rain this year maybe slight drought but now horrible, with that said yes leaves are changing. In the last 5 years living up here never seen this much change this early in the year. This shot is right next to lake so should be able to draw from lake water. Crazy. IMG_5014.jpeg

rph130

100 degrees yesterday in Park Ridge IL. Supposed to hit 102 today. Plenty of rain here over the summer but I have a maple that is already somewhat red, and my oak tree has already started to drop some leaves so it's not a stress thing. Early fall coming.

mspease

A few changing up here, but not many yet. Never too early to think about winter! I have a huge list to get done for our club before trails open. It never ends but I enjoy it.

snoden

Gladly share some of this rain with other parts of the country. Yesterday evening into the overnight hours the county I live in received 5 - 7 inches, to make matters worse they are calling for another 1 - 2 inches tonight. Local river will peak later tonight @ 4 feet over flood stage, been since 1969 to see that level. Been getting a lot of rain for the past 2 months and I'm tired of mowing, every 5 days and sometimes that not enough. I'm so ready for leaves to start changing and this wet stuff to turn to white stuff.

Last edited:

matti

Definitely reds and yellows showing up around Duluth. There are some sections in the woods where large bunches of birch leaves have already fallen, dry and crunchy. Looks a bit like late September on the ground.

skiroule

It's crazy, the heat and humidity you guys further south are dealing with. I start sweating just reading the posts. Talked to a friend yesterday that lives in the Twin Cities and he said the heat index was about 110. We had a high of 64 with a cooling breeze. Amazing how different it can be sometimes.

bobt

In Florence, ferns are turning brown, tall maples turning yellow/orange/red. Ferns are first to go and are a dead giveaway.

skiroule

In Florence, ferns are turning brown, tall maples turning yellow/orange/red. Ferns are first to go and are a dead giveaway.
It seems like we've had a fairly normal summer as far as rainfall but maybe it has been drier than I realize. At the cabin, the Ash are getting into full color mode and some are even a little past.

IMG_2586_1.jpg