The Waconia 2015 Experience

skiroule

Wrapped up my 2015 Waconia experience today – as usual I wasn’t disappointed.

Just getting my sled unloaded provided a hint of how the day would go. Had one fellow stop and help me set up my ramp and when I got ready to unload it, two guys helped me pull it off the truck. Felt kind of bad because the track ended up on one fellow’s foot. The hindquarters of the Deere are not light and it couldn’t have felt good having a cleated track land on one’s tennis shoe but in true vintage sled fan fashion, he laughed it off and away they went.

It was (pardon the expression) a vintage Waconia event: Well planned, well run, and well attended. I don’t know how they do it. There are literally thousands of vintage sleds and many, many more people. Even so, getting in and out was painless.

It was probably 45 degrees warmer than last year which made for comfortable browsing but the sleds weren’t near as happy. The lake was fine but the swap area was pretty interesting. By 2:00 the pedestrian lanes looked like an old west town after a two week rain. I fully expected to see someone thrown out into the street through a set of swingin’ doors.

It was fun getting the Cyclone out on the lake and with every pass it ran better. It’s no TX off the line but once you can build the RPMs the CCW starts to come to life. This was the first time I’ve brought a sled out and I can say that I will not come out again without one – just adds to the fun to be able to ride around the grounds.

Pretty light day as far as parts picking but I got a few things I was looking for: a reproduction TX windshield band and headlight grill and a pair of nice TX mufflers.

Here’s a few shots of the day:

These are for bigvin – think this is what he is after
DSCN2453_zpsjj8tz2w5.jpg

DSCN2456_zpstarpiyli.jpg

Can’t be Indy – Mohawk is the wrong color – should have seen him sidehill that Kitty Kat though
DSCN2487_zpswkelrxox.jpg

Oh Yeah, the pork chops
DSCN2473_zpsshg5ynni.jpg

This is pretty cool
DSCN2485_zpslvelszfu.jpg

In my dreams
DSCN2479_zpsgvqdythw.jpg

Nice Cats
DSCN2480_zpsapewzduf.jpg

Polaris and Arctic Cat – Featured Sleds
DSCN2447_zpsdpglullj.jpg

A few more random shots:
DSCN2474_zpsucc59izx.jpg

DSCN2476_zpskoi9ilkj.jpg

DSCN2471_zpsvznh33yj.jpg

DSCN2470_zpspb7ihsrt.jpg

kirk600

Wow that looks like it would be a blast Kelly. I need to add that show to my list of things to do for the TXL

garyl62

That looks like it would have been great. Is it the same weekend every year? I need to put that on my list of events for next season.

skiroule

Gary, as far as I know, it is always the same weekend. They have a good website that announces the dates well in advance. What is kind of cool is that there is a different featured sled model every year.

It’s a bit of a haul (quite a bit further for Kirk) but there’s the possibility that it could be combined with additional riding in the same trip. Once you’re on the east side of the Cities, it’s roughly 3 ½ hours to the North Shore, 4 to Ironwood, 6 to Houghton, and so on. There’s no issues with riding late models around at the event so if you wanted to bring a late model and ride around or have friends that would like to come along and ride their normal sleds, it’s not a problem.

If we would have a good snow year, you could even pick up the trail off the lake and check out Ezra’s club’s new trail shelter.

Here’s a couple from a year or so back (a much better snow year).

DSCN1997_zpsdsaf3bes.jpg

DSCN2002_zpskers3xup.jpg

DSCN1980_zpsv1jzkwvs.jpg

Iowarider

Went yesterday up to Waconia. Did not take a sled up. Not the same with out a sled to ride, to much walking up and down the rows and watching everyone ride there sleds made us a little envious.

bearrassler

Looks kike a lot of fun Kelly, one of these years I am going to have to make it down. Quite a few people that I know well go down every year and have a blast. Nice to see you even took a picture of a Viking. I have not seen a recent picture of the Deere on here. Did you just get it running or do a complete restore on it?

skiroule

Hey BR! in my opinion, it ain’t a show without a Viking. They’re everywhere now. I’m sure the original goal was to build a great sled but I doubt if anyone in your family would have predicted that some 45 years later their sled would become a cult icon. I wouldn’t be surprised that if it hasn’t already happened, the Viking would become the featured sled in some future event.

I didn’t really take any shots of the Cyclone because I had so many other good things to photograph and it really hasn’t changed in appearance since some of the build photos. The suspension issues were finally corrected but not much else has been done to the sled. I did start to realize that this is a pretty special sled since out of the thousands of sleds there, I only saw one other Cyclone (a 78). This was the first time I got to wind it up and I have to say it’s a pretty fun sled. Eventually it I will get around to making it look more like a new sled.

By the way, if you ever do get down (and you should), bring a sled, any sled, to ride. It’s a whole different experience from the seat.

skiroule

What makes Waconia so great is the size and amazing variety of vintage sleds that people actually ride, many of which are kept running by the sheer will and creativity of the owner. I loved the guy on the Evinrude Bobcat that actually carried a spray bottle of mixed gas. It quit a couple of times when he was heading out on the lake. He’d give it a couple of squirts (the carb was right in his lap – very convenient) and a few pulls on the rope and he was moving again. Eventually he got it rolling for good and he was off to the trail ride.

I dabbled in a few restorations in the mid-late 90’s (a Polaris Colt and a couple of Chaparrals) but they eventually went away and I thought I had kicked the vintage habit. Then, a few years back SOMEONE, on a snow year not unlike this one, came up with the bright idea to do a little project called the John Dee TN’T Make-A-Wish Sled and I was hooked again. All that therapy down the drain – I haven’t missed a Waconia event since. In fact last year, I hauled vintage parts I had purchased all the way to WY and back because I had to make a detour to this event on the way out.

snoluver1

Sorry Kelly. I didn't mean to be an enabler. I guess when you fall off the wagon, you take a running leap off the wagon! Lol;)

outrageous

Was not able to attend this year, but was there last year with the bitter cold and blizzard coming on Sunday. It was also my first time and I was very impressed with this event. I entered my custom 77 Exciter in the show on Sunday and was lucky enough to win the class. Was glad I stayed, but it was a horrible trip home in that blizzard. I hope to go again next year. Here is a pic of my sled;

skiroule

It took me a minute but I remember this sled now. Didn't you do a build thread on Vintage Sleds? Very impressive engineering effort. I can see why you won the class.

outrageous

Yes Skiroule; There is a thread of the entire build on Vintagesleds.com in the customs section. Probably back on page 6 or 7 by now. Last time I checked it had had about 37,000 hits. I have not had a chance to ride it this year yet, poor snow conditions and unsafe lakes have kept it in the shed. I am thinking about taking it to the Black Hills and riding it out there if their snow conditions improve in the very near future. It's under the topic ( Pics of my 77 Exciter project) posted by OutRAGEous

skiroule

Yep, had to check it out again tonight. What a great build!

I think riding that sled in the Black Hills would be just plain excellent. It might be just lucky timing but every time I've been there the trails have been very good. If you do happen to go, be sure to get some photos to post in this forum. Would love to see the sled against a Black Hills backdrop.

Your mentioning the Black Hills got me thinking. I haven't been out there for a number of years and next year might be a good time to go back. If I do go, I will definitely take a vintage sled along. Over the last 2 - 3 years, I've ridden a TX in North Dakota, Minnesota, Ontario, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Would be fun to add South Dakota to the list and maybe even sneak over the Wyoming border to the west.