They're Big & They're Out There

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was slowed down behind one of these today.

Planting.jpg
Our part of Wisconsin is just waking up after the long winter. People to the south have been in the fields for some time already. So we're going to be seeing more of this at all hours of the day. When you come up on one of these monsters, give'm a break. Cause without these farmers.....we don't eat! And we should also mention, these are the same people that allow our trail systems to cross their lands during the winter months.
Farmers.jpg

Here's a couple of links about the people in those tractors, both are safe for the workplace.

ragsled

Actually in WI you can pass other vehicles in a no passing zone if they are travelling less than half of the posted speed limit. But you are correct about the farm vehicles, the law was changed in 2014 to exclude them from being passable.

346.09: Limitations on overtaking on left or driving on left side of roadway

(3)

(a) Except as provided in par. (b), the operator of a vehicle shall not drive on the left side of the center of a roadway on any portion thereof which has been designated a no-passing zone, either by signs or by a yellow unbroken line on the pavement on the right-hand side of and adjacent to the center line of the roadway, provided such signs or lines would be clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person.

(b) The operator of a vehicle may drive on the left side of the center of a roadway on any portion thereof which has been designated a no-passing zone, as described in par. (a), to overtake and pass, with care, any vehicle, except an implement of husbandry or agricultural commercial motor vehicle, traveling at a speed less than half of the applicable speed limit at the place of passing.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious, what is an implement of husbandry?
I looked it up and it pretty much includes everything from tractors, combines, wagons and implements.

Implements of husbandry are vehicles that are designed, manufactured, adapted, or reconstructed for agricultural purposes and exclusively used in the conduct of agricultural operations. They include, but are not limited to, self-propelled or towed units like combines, discs, fertilizer spreaders, cargo tanks, harrows, hay balers, harvesting and stacking equipment, pesticide applicators, plows, swathers, mint tubs and mint wagons, and farm wagons.

pclark

I looked it up and it pretty much includes everything from tractors, combines, wagons and implements.

Implements of husbandry are vehicles that are designed, manufactured, adapted, or reconstructed for agricultural purposes and exclusively used in the conduct of agricultural operations. They include, but are not limited to, self-propelled or towed units like combines, discs, fertilizer spreaders, cargo tanks, harrows, hay balers, harvesting and stacking equipment, pesticide applicators, plows, swathers, mint tubs and mint wagons, and farm wagons.
Thanks Gary!

snoden

Daily life in my neck of the woods err fields. I'm in rural Northern Ohio and they are everywhere. I treat them the same way I treat a school bus, lots and lots of space.

snobuilder

How long would I have to sit behind my neighbor doing 6 mph in the double yellow on his cub lowboy giving me the wave around with one wheel on the shoulder?

snobuilder

The farm susidies must be huge these days. Here in SE WI most fields don't require the incredible size of the new equipment I see taking up the ENTIRE paved portion of the road. Pass them?....LOL it's even scarier being in the oncoming lane.

favoritos

It's interesting how many similarities there are with trail grooming and farm equipment.

I can see down the road quite a ways with farm equipment high cab height. When they can do a clear pass I hang the shoulder to give them room. Some roads simply don't have shoulders. Those are tough and I'm always looking for a wide driveway to use for a pull over.
It's usually easy to spot the city slicker with attitude. The rest of the world shares a nice friendly wave as we meet.

Much of the newer equipment actually folds tighter(narrower) than some of the old stuff. There was a time frame when equipment didn't fold even as widths grew larger. Some of the bigger old stuff is hard to move down the road. Old diggers and planters before folding became common, were getting into the 30' range. The 12 row beet picker(We use the term lifter in our area, but it would still make a great name), is probably a little over 25' wide. It's not easy to move, but the harvest window is dang tight. We don't do beets, but we run 24 hr days. The beet harvesters are often the only other people still moving some nights.

snobuilder

It's interesting how many similarities there are with trail grooming and farm equipment.

I can see down the road quite a ways with farm equipment high cab height. When they can do a clear pass I hang the shoulder to give them room. Some roads simply don't have shoulders. Those are tough and I'm always looking for a wide driveway to use for a pull over.
It's usually easy to spot the city slicker with attitude. The rest of the world shares a nice friendly wave as we meet.

Much of the newer equipment actually folds tighter(narrower) than some of the old stuff. There was a time frame when equipment didn't fold even as widths grew larger. Some of the bigger old stuff is hard to move down the road. Old diggers and planters before folding became common, were getting into the 30' range. The 12 row beet picker(We use the term lifter in our area, but it would still make a great name), is probably a little over 25' wide. It's not easy to move, but the harvest window is dang tight. We don't do beets, but we run 24 hr days. The beet harvesters are often the only other people still moving some nights.
Your expressed attitude is what I have always encountered in my little corner of SE WI.

wiscrev

"Picker" is my terminology too, just had potato picker and beet lifter on my mind at the same time. Wish I had a dollar for every 1M# of beets I hauled. I could really retire in good shape.