Thin ice!!!

chad66

To all of those that are snowmobiling the Keweenaw please stay off of the ice. A snowmobiler when through inbetween the Ramada and the Houghton beach where everybody crosses. He is out and ok.

Chad@M&M

Firecatguy

To all of those that are snowmobiling the Keweenaw please stay off of the ice. A snowmobiler when through inbetween the Ramada and the Houghton beach where everybody crosses. He is out and ok.

Chad@M&M

isnt crossing there A no no??thought you are to use bridge???

scottiking

Chad@M&M
Crazy! remember being at the Ramada 3 or 4 weeks ago when two guys headed out across that way and it wasnt even all iced over!
no more water skipping for me now that I have a belt gobbler!

Scottiking OUT

mezz

Crossing the ice a no no?

Not necessarily a no no, there is no rule or law forbidding it, however, that is why the bridges lower span is used, to prevent things like this from happening. Again, as the Coast Guard motto goes, No ice is safe ice. This is especially true this year, not only here, but in many places through out the U.P. Folks have to remember that we had a rather extended & warmer than usual fall & we did not start to see ice form until mid-December on the larger bodies of water. Then we had rains at the end of December which weighted the snow cover on the ice & made for deceiving ice cover. Best to just stay off of it, what might be good in one spot, may be extremely weak in a matter of feet, or less.-Mezz

zrjes

That section is always iffy, I never even think about crossing there until it is much later in the season, and even then I usually take the safe route of the bridge because I have seen too many people go through the ice.

One year my Dad and I were staying at the Ramada between Christmas and New Years, first floor looking at the portage, came home from our sled ride to see emergency crews pulling out a Rental sled from Midway Rentals in Marquette Michigan out of the Lake. Not just 1, but 2 sleds, since this guys buddy went to save him and also broke through the ice. Both guys were OK, but spent a lot of $$ getting the sleds out.

I also remember going up for Spring Break in late March, divers had to pull out a sled from directly under the Bridge.......I don't remember how deep they had to go but I remember it was pretty deep under there.

Agree, stay off the ice!

Stack

Just out of curiousity - how is Lake Gogebic or even the lakes in Twin Lakes? Are people riding them?

LG always has hazards. Everybody is riding it but there is definetly slush to be found. Theres ice underneath that slush but its always a little unnerving. From Fishtails north on the west side there are ice heaves for probably a mile. About 100 yds out to shore, they look like panes of glass sticking out of the snow. Hitting one would ruin your day.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad he got out ok, I've been in the water before in winter, not a lot of fun!

As fas as Lake Roland and Gerald, Richard Krupp told me this a long time ago, "stay off them", so we do! :)

Last edited: