things to do around xmas in the western UP

chadlyt

Continuing on the subject started earlier What are you doing between Christmas and New Years? , my family will be coming up to the UP no matter what after xmas. My kids said they wanted to come up, so we are staying in Greenland. We all have the week off mandatory from work so why not?

With that said, I am a planner. What non-snow things are there to do for families up there? My kids ages 9 and 6 need to have more to do than sit in a cabin and read/play games. (ok, i need something more to do than that. love my family, but i can't sit in a cabin for 5 days that long)

thought about hiking in the porkies, driving to see the sights, but what else is there? help :rolleyes:

scott_b

It is almost a certainty that there will be some snow, the big question is will it be enough to go snowmobiling on... That being said
Bowling at Konteka
Go see Bond falls and bring a sled, the lower parking lot is closed and the hill leading down to it is long and wide, kids can have a blast on that for a while.
If the snow is really thin hike up to Alligator Eye on Gogebic (look at Hunts Guide for directions)
Skiing, snow tubing or ice skating at Powder Horn
Movie theaters in town if you get really desperate

I put good odds on us getting dumped on the week between Christmas and NY, it should be fun.

chadlyt

we'll for sure be bringing the sleds, snow sleds that is. We went sledding on a hill south of South Range the last time we went and we all had a blast. I have a 8' tobaggan that can really get moving.

Thanks for the other ideas. This part of the UP (haven't been to the eastern side) isn't really developed and it's the main reason i like to go up there. Towns are towns, and not touristy like many parts of northern MN.

mrsrunningbear

The Ottawa National Forests visitors center in Watersmeet is always a great place to visit. It's right on the corner of US2 and US45. Great interactive stuff for kids and they even have an Imax theater which not to many people know about you can go in and ask them to play any movie of your choice it's great! The Alaska movie is super! Bond Falls is beautiful in the winter like scott_b said so is Kakabica Falls another favorite of ours it's off of US2 on the county road 527 west of watersmeet. It's a great hike.

Snow angels are a must too :)

IMG_0062.jpg 1.jpg Kakabica Falls.jpg

ranlam

If Ya stop by the Konteka to bowl let me know, we have a nice snowshoe/hiking trail right in back i can take you on a tour and show you the biggest white pine tree in the U.P. among other cool things.

chadlyt

Mrsrunningbear, those are great ideas. with the current forcast, we may just be doing this.

Ranlam, I'm pretty sure we'd stop over if there isnt rideable snow.