things you did/ do still??

mrbb

OK this is some what a topic to go with what was your first job deal or of sorts

but what are some things you did as kid or as older, that just don't seem to happen any more

I know when I was a kid and till maybe mid 2000's
was I used to pick a LOT of wild blue berries, black berries, chestnuts, as seasons allowed
I can recall some summers picking a few hundred lbs of Blue berries and selling them a a kid, used to fill, there or four 5 gallon buckets every day
LONG days in the sun, letting skeeters eat, and can honestly say, even back then, I had a LOT of encounters with black bears doing the same
I can recall picking berries off bushes me on one side and a bear on the other HAHA!

late 80's chestnut tree's here took a big hit and we lost almost all of them, in the wilds
so that ended that
then about the late 90's
with so few forest fires anymore or since, it seems all the blue berry black berry, bushes all got too mature, no real new growth happening due to too much matter on the ground
and that sort of ended the large amounts of them growing wild here!
forest fires were natures way of making new things grow and feeding existing things ! they did a LOT of good, that just doesn't happen Lillie it used to !

these days, its extremely hard to find wild berries here anymore, picking a few quarts is a challenge anymore! if even possible at all!
and to be honest I miss them older times when tings were abundant, nothing much better than fresh picked berries in season if you ask me!
I don't even think many kids today even know what wild berries and nuts are anymore! and what a shame! that is!

SO< anyone else as a kid or?? had any other hobbies maybe that netted some cash Flow for you?

m8man

I can recall picking thimble berries back in either 1979 or 1980 with my parents and the dog in the Keweenaw and we were deep into the railroad grades picking berries and we heard a big rumble in the bushes and the dog bailed and ran and jumped in the truck. We figured we should also bail. Turned out to be a bear and I don’t think I’ve picked T berries since.

I’ve driven by that spot many times on sleds or SxS but I can remember that like it was yesterday

M8man

skiroule

There was a country dance hall 1/4 mile from our farm that had dances just about every Saturday night in the summer and we used to go down the morning after a dance and look for money. Didn't generate a lot of cash flow but we found a lot of half-smoked butts that we could light up and get a few puffs. Talk about no class, but hey, I think we were about 8 years old. Cured me of the desire to smoke for life.

mrbb

what about drive in movies??<br> anyone else here recall going to them!<br><br>another thing I feel kids today are missing out on!<br><br>

chunk06

*what about drive in movies??<br>*anyone else here recall going to them!<br><br>another thing I feel kids today are missing out on!<br><br>

I have two drive in theaters within a half hour of me. We take our kids a couple times a year. They are always double futures so you can really make a night out of it.

Sandylake

*what about drive in movies??<br>*anyone else here recall going to them!<br><br>another thing I feel kids today are missing out on!<br><br>

My dad and I would go to the Hiawatha Drive In in Chassell about twice a year when I was a kid.
Those hot summer nights when sleep was hard to get was when he would take me there.

I don't remember one movie because it was always about being at the play ground they had there and the snack bar and pigging out.

Me and my kids still go berry picking* and it was a great blueberry season this year.

* I'm allergic to Strawberries so I never do that, it's the only thing I'm allergic to. :(