Thought I broke a belt running at 95 but didn't...

ragsled

Years ago I had a sled that puked coolant onto the belt and it instantly over revved and lost momentum at about that same speed. Unsure of your Cats cooling system routing but maybe a thought?

lofsfire

Years ago I had a sled that puked coolant onto the belt and it instantly over revved and lost momentum at about that same speed. Unsure of your Cats cooling system routing but maybe a thought?
Well at this point I've checked everything I can with no snow. But I will have to see if the coolant is even possible... I even took the sled to a local dealer, who is a friend as well. Had them look at it and they could not find anything.

Only thing they could come up with and they said it was a long shot. But possible due to the night before when I rolled it, now I say rolled but at most it was sitting at a 30* angle from the ground on its right side. So not upside down or even fully on its side but enough I felt like a rookie that night... The thought was maybe some oil got were it should not be in a vacuum line etc. Since I was not running hard till this point it was not a problem. When I opened the sled up, that oil might have been sucked in the intake... Again a long shot but who knows. Hopefully, we get some more snow and I can test it out and there wont be a problem.

In fact I had a leak down test done at the beginning of the season because these 1100 are know to need valve adjustments after 5000 miles. But everything has been good for me.

Also, I did get the sleds and my trailer all cleaned up this weekend. I have to say, I have access to a Hotsy and I love using it, because damn they make short work of a big job. Washed my truck, sled, the inside floor of the trailer and the outside in 1.5 hrs.

mezz

Good to hear, one last stab in the dark, are you sure the belt didn't suffer some damage when you smoked it getting unstuck? It could be a worn spot in it that may have caused that brief hesitation at high rpm. Just a thought, glad to hear it wasn't anything major though.

lofsfire

Good to hear, one last stab in the dark, are you sure the belt didn't suffer some damage when you smoked it getting unstuck? It could be a worn spot in it that may have caused that brief hesitation at high rpm. Just a thought, glad to hear it wasn't anything major though.
Yep, cleaned the clutch faces too.

bouncer

I also think it went into "limp mode" I'd ask the dealer if that's possible with your model sled.

Nothing else make sense since there was no debris or fluids present upon inspection.

lofsfire

So what are the thoughts on why it would go in the limp mode?

I've only had the sled go in the limp mode one time. It was sitting idling. Oh, we were deciding what to do, which would go fairly warm day. Two time get away from me... Basically, start to overheat. The light came on. And if I remember correctly A message comes up on the dash as well. I don't remember seeing anything during that time. I know for sure when I pulled over, nothing came up on the dash.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the BRP products, the dealer can hookup the BUDS system and it'll give you a code which translates to the issue. In my case it was a Timing Sensor that failed.

lofsfire

Unfortunately, I'm not sure my dealer can do that even if the Cat sleds has the same type of setup. My dealer of choice at least for maintenance is a Yamaha dealer. So after next year he won't even have any sleds any more. I ended up buying my sled from Ken's in Kaukauna, Wi. But all my service is done at my local Yamaha dealer. So I'm not sure he would be able to hook up to my sled. Keep in mind, I have the Suzuki engine in my sled.

But I have to check into a computer reader I would assume there has to be something...

bouncer

So what are the thoughts on why it would go in the limp mode?

I've only had the sled go in the limp mode one time. It was sitting idling. Oh, we were deciding what to do, which would go fairly warm day. Two time get away from me... Basically, start to overheat. The light came on. And if I remember correctly A message comes up on the dash as well. I don't remember seeing anything during that time. I know for sure when I pulled over, nothing came up on the dash.
You were running wide open.
What was your gas level ? Low tank and sloshing gas, you could have momentarily sucked air ?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ? First sign of a restricted fuel flow would happen during a full throttle event.
Going into limp mode is usually caused by an overheat. You should have seen the dash light as you did on previous overheats. It's starting to sound like a fuel delivery problem. ??

lofsfire

You were running wide open.
What was your gas level ? Low tank and sloshing gas, you could have momentarily sucked air ?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ? First sign of a restricted fuel flow would happen during a full throttle event.
Going into limp mode is usually caused by an overheat. You should have seen the dash light as you did on previous overheats. It's starting to sound like a fuel delivery problem. ??
I was at about a 1/2 tank at that point I rode another 14 miles then turned around at the turn off for Lake of the Clouds and went back to Burgland. When I got back my Low fuel light came on and the gage cluster saying "Low Fuel" as I pulled into the gas station. I put in 8.3 Gals. I have a10.4 Gal tank.

But it is interesting you mention this, my friend that was with me, had bought a 2014 Viper from another one of are friends two seasons prior. Due to a move and his wife having some health issues This was his first real trip north. He was also starting to have interment hard starts around Christmas. Like the sled was not receiving fuel. He decide to drain all of his gas knowing it had sat for at least his two years of owning it. In doing so, the filters just disintegrated. He also then realized that when turning on the key the fuel pump was not primping or pressuring the fuel tank. So he end up changing his fuel pump and filters. With mine being a 2015 and very similar to the same parts... I may have to check out my fuel pump. Just to make sure its not the same issue starting. I do know everytime you turn my key you can hear the fuel pump start up so far.

As for the Filter I thought it was changed two years ago but I don't see it in my notes. So unless I forget to write it down, it may need to be done. I'm fairly detailed on the notes I keep, a habit my Grandfather got me in when I had my first car. He use to keep a small note book with miles, dates, and everything done, Including every fill up. I now use a app called "fuelio". If you like know all this info it real is a good app. Being an app I can literality look at graphs/ trends, see fuel milage, Cost of maintenance, repairs, parts, overall cost for each vehicle, etc... All depends how detailed you are when toy put the info in the app. I keep track of every vehicle I have on here. I even use it to track mileage and cost on my trailer. I'm sure this seems crazy, but it is nice knowing how long brakes and tires are lasting on the trailer. Plus if I want the data out it can be exported to Excel easily.

lofsfire

Possible chaincase ??? Chain loose or something , or agree with ice chunk blew out the front of the track
Definitely not the chain. Every is running fine there. No noises etc. plus it was just serviced this fall. So at that point about 80 miles prior.

Also if it were the chain, I think it would have noticed something at some other point in the ride.

Maybe it was not ice but just a large accumulation or heavy wet snow in the track/tunnel...