tie downs

RHFD547

Curious to see what everyone uses to secure their sleds inside an enclosed trailer. I've looked at the Superclamps and the price scares me but I like how easy they operate. I don't want anything that would catch on the skis either. I'm open for suggestions.

D

Deleted member 10829

D rings and straps. Works great and not expensive.

timo

We don't use anything inside our enclosed. Park them and shut the door. They ain't going anywhere.

yup.
parking brake.
if you're worried about your sleds sliding around in an enclosed trailer you prolly got a lot more things to worry about.

goofy600

My 2 cents get good tie downs like ill Marty said don't know when something bad is going to happen. Got into a rear end accident years ago it was a open trailer floe with there track type tie downs aluminum bars and a tie down strap on the back and bars on the ski broke in half and straps straightened out the hooks so for me it will always be steel ski bars and a strap when I travel. Oh ya when the bar broke sleds came off trailer and rolled down road!

jime

i,ve always worried that in a crash, two cam type tie downs per sled would play out like ski rope, sleds would go thru that tin foil side wall and park in my back seat.
put a loose knot behind the cam. try not to kill a bystander.

polarisrider1

i,ve always worried that in a crash, two cam type tie downs per sled would play out like ski rope, sleds would go thru that tin foil side wall and park in my back seat.
put a loose knot behind the cam. try not to kill a bystander.

You must have a pos R&R clam shell like me. Amazing aluminum foil side walls......not. Love the quick clamps. Fast and holds sled tight.

frosty

You must have a pos R&R clam shell like me. Amazing aluminum foil side walls......not. Love the quick clamps. Fast and holds sled tight.

I started reading this last night and said screw it! If I can afford a12k sled I can afford to buy some nice tie downs. So I bought a pair of superclamps last night for $310 for a pair off ebay. Still will tie down the rear with rachet straps as I already have flush mounted d rings.

One thing that is distrubing is the guys with the enclosed trailers not at least ractheting down the sled inside. Even in a low speed accident say 30 mphs, to come to a sudden stop, your sleds are still moving at 44 feet per second. Where do you think all that energy is going to go? Right threw those walls that you guys have a false sense of security, that they will be strong enough to stop a 600# projectile, also, times how sleds are on board. Even if you put a cheap set of Menards straps on, and they broke or ripped the d ring out of the floor, it slowed the momentum down, so maybe the walls will be able to contain and withstand the impact.

Just did the math........

A 600# sled moving at 30mph and with a 1 foot crush factor, your 600# sled has the crash force of 18,274 lbs or just over 9 tons

So, another words, whatever the sled hits will have 9 tons of force behind it, do you guys think the walls of ANY trailer will be able to with stand it? At 60 mphs, it 36 tons, it quadruples!.

Last edited:

garyl62

Realize you may be talking about clam shells here with all the dialogue about clamps, but this is what I did when I finished off my inline this past summer. E-track on the walls, then a ratchet strap to the sled. Just grabbed some old straps sitting around the garage for now, stopping at the shop to get some better ones before heading out of town tomorrow.

20141129_120938.jpg 20141129_120942.jpg 20141129_120953.jpg 20141129_120959.jpg 20141129_121021.jpg

RHFD547

Garyl62

That's what I was thinking of doing only fastening the E-tracks to the floor. I like the idea of more versatility as far as securing different length sleds. Thanks for the input.

garyl62

Garyl62

That's what I was thinking of doing only fastening the E-tracks to the floor. I like the idea of more versatility as far as securing different length sleds. Thanks for the input.

Its probably more secure if you fasten them to the floor but I didn't want to walk on them all the time, plus in an inline you cross over from one side to the other if you drive through the trailer when loading or unloading.

garyl62

Gary, E tracks on the walls. Then you can make elevated beds for your camping plan.

I put my e-tracks about a foot off the floor. Works great for the sleds and keeps me from walking on them when camping. Not sure what you're thinking about elevated beds though, maybe a row at the ceiling to hang off of?

longtrack

Park them facing towards the rear. Never had them move. Every Big Truck goes down the Road with Pallets of everything possible. They are never tied down. Yes if there is a accident there will be damage. I ship Load after Load of B&B Trees weighing up to 2000 Lbs each and they are never tied down in a Van.

If your Sleds are parked facing the front, at least throw a strap on the back.

whitedust

yup.
parking brake.
if you're worried about your sleds sliding around in an enclosed trailer you prolly got a lot more things to worry about.

Yep used to tie down but don't anymore just set ebrake & done. Yamaha's to heavy to move ...lol..& if launched thru United trailer wood & steel walls with alum skin then time to buy everything new. My son inlaw tows wrecked semis off interstate nothing ever tied down on pallets. Anybody want a free pallet of power aid lol.