TIME TO CALL IT ?

lazer103

With trails still closed in Mercer area and no snow in the forecast for next 10 days, how long will the snowmobile clubs hold out before they say screw it….regardless of how big or how many snowstorms we get…… we aren’t grooming ….not worth it…season over……

MKW

Think they called it a while ago but maybe haven’t come right out and said it. There’s no way a country will allow the trail clubs to open with no frost, swamps and creeks open, damage to farm fields and lake’s unsafe. Gets to be a safety issue more than anything that nobody wants to be liable for. I’ve officially called it a season a few weeks ago as we will be going back to work soon here with the record temperatures. I like everyone’s optimism..but is mid February now and even on a good year things are winding down. Till next year….

erkoehler

Surprising the ground was still quite solid as of Friday in N. Wi and I read somewhere that someone was hiking a swamp and it was still frozen. I'd be shocked with the right amount of snow prior to 3/15/24 that the clubs in N. WI or UP wouldn't get things looking good.

The businesses up there definitely need every day, weekend, or week they can get!!!

pclark

At this point the businesses have made their adjustments and paired back their hours, laid off people. A lot of them will start to think pretty hard about how long they want to stay open. Most are closed starting 4/1. Not looking very promising but the ground is frozen and now the lakes are freezing up again. For how long I don’t know, at this point I’m starting to look forward to an early Spring so I can start to put siding up on garage. I would love to see an early ice out as the last two years have been May. jMO

attakman

It's looking less, and less likely that trails will open....that being said...if we get rideable snow...they will open if the county gives the green light...land owner easements do not end until March 31st at midnight.....realistically...another stretch of warm weather would be very bad..some swamps are not good, and many lakes are not safe...there will probably be trails open where you have to go around swamps and or lakes....but this is all speculation.....with only 6 weeks or so left to the season it's looking very grim.

nhra1000

I don't see Vilas opening at this point based on the current forecast....They have always said that if all 11 clubs dont agree to open...they wont open them. I'm my daily travels I see a bunch of standing water with the trail underneath....unless it freezes up tight I just dont see it happening.

XTEAM

I don't see Vilas opening at this point based on the current forecast....They have always said that if all 11 clubs dont agree to open...they wont open them. I'm my daily travels I see a bunch of standing water with the trail underneath....unless it freezes up tight I just dont see it happening.
There will be enough pressure from the businesses to open. Only problem is will there be enough snow. At this point I’m not trashing any of my sleds to ride garbage trails from no base…..pray for a huge snowstorm that’s the only hope we have at this point.

SHOOT2KILL

GFS map...6am Wednesday update...Upwards of 8-10" forecast for far So. Wi by 2/18...

Attachments

• gfs_asnow_us_24.png
    gfs_asnow_us_24.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 29

wisco-mb

I'll take any snow for ground cover. My boy has been chomping at the bit to get his 120 back out. He was able to use it for the following week or so after the warmup. He hasn't been too happy since then. I told him you're a true snowmobiler now that you're mad at the weather!
I saw a guy driving a Corvette today. I was shocked, but I suppose we haven't had road salt in over a month, and multiple hard rains.

ridindirty800

1" of slop here in SE WI. At this point with NO base in N.Wi, and the U.P trails will last if the snow ever comes until the sun comes out. I don't care if is 10 degrees or 30, the sun angle in March is so high it melts snow at any temp. Without a base going into March I can't see any good riding to be had even if the snow comes to the Northwoods late. And extended forecast shows nothing meaningful but higher then average temps.