Time to Throw in the Towel - UGH!

rev500

I think we are going to give up on our plans to ride in the UP between the holiday's. I have been checking numerous weather sites and my conclusion is that Sat, Sun, and Tues are basically going to be at 31/32 degrees. Two of those days will be partly cloudy which translates into mostly sunny (nothing kills snow faster). Monday is going to be ABOVE FREEZING with some sun and windy. The fragile state of the trails simply will not hold up to this. We will be running through mud by the end of the day Monday. If anyone else has insight that I do not please let me know. The last thing I want to do is cancel this trip but it just does not look like the trails will be there. The temps are Mother Natures final cruel blow.

rsvectordude

Unless a freak snow storm arises you are making the right call! There is simply not enough on the ground or in the forecast to make it worth while. I ate at the Parkview in Twin Lakes yesterday saws a couple of sleds but it's pretty thin there and you can't even ride for more than 35 mins in either direction and you run out of snow on the trails!

I sold my sled last week. Hated to but with the season closing in on half over (in northern lower michigan)....I thought why not. I do have spare sleds to ride just in case it does snow....but my baby is gone. But a possitive note to this is I am getting a NEW sled for the 2012/2013 season :)

mtu_deltsig

I feel bad for the businesses. This probably will be the first time since 98 I will not be in Keweenaw between the Holidays.

mjkaliszak

I sold my sled last week. Hated to but with the season closing in on half over (in northern lower michigan)....I thought why not. I do have spare sleds to ride just in case it does snow....but my baby is gone. But a possitive note to this is I am getting a NEW sled for the 2012/2013 season :)

I feel for ya... It looks that I will still have a " new " one next year at this rate. Generally I have found ridable snow even in the cadillac area in early DEC....

700classic

Pulled the pin, threw in the towel at 6pm. 10 of us were going to Grand Marais between the holidays. This just shot my Christmas spirit all to h*#l. Give me a day and some spiced rum and I'll get over it.

D

Deleted member 10829

They need a lot, not just a little. Especially if it's lake effect.

blkhwkbob

I sold my sled last week. Hated to but with the season closing in on half over (in northern lower michigan

Let's see, Dec 22...the season has been open for a MAX of 22 days I would suspect, and early December conditions usually aren't so great anyway. That leaves all of Jan, all of Feb, and possibly a week or two of March. You give up pretty easy.

Let's see, Dec 22...the season has been open for a MAX of 22 days I would suspect, and early December conditions usually aren't so great anyway. That leaves all of Jan, all of Feb, and possibly a week or two of March. You give up pretty easy.

Open a business up in Northern Lower Michigan.....than you will know what I meen. March is completely dead...so that only leaves us Jan and Feb...and with no snow forcasted for the near future.....season is half over for us (or darn close to half over). But like I said I do have 3 other sleds to ride.

sifarmer

Im not giving up. I will say one thing, first BIG snow they get up there this guy is rolling out of st louis he** or high water n going north. I work way to hard for this, and have way to much invested to give up now. Come on snow!!

polarisrider1

Open a business up in Northern Lower Michigan.....than you will know what I meen. March is completely dead...so that only leaves us Jan and Feb...and with no snow forcasted for the near future.....season is half over for us (or darn close to half over). But like I said I do have 3 other sleds to ride.
There is always the boat to wax,while in storage.........ugh! Thinking about hauling bikes to Florida and visiting Mom. The keys has the finest Rums. Sled has dust on it.

northbound08

Its never over till winters over...Think ill be up Monday to break the sled in alittle more???Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!

rozzy43

only snow I've seen within a 12hr drive that looks rideable was on the NCN network ( Olde Forge,NY ). but it's a "pain in the azz state" to deal with, just to ride!

ripp6957

Why not go anyway and support the local businesses? No snow hurts them more than you. We went one year as planned with no snow, still had a good time sight seeing and the business owners were very grateful. If you don't support them, they might not be there next year!