To cold for snow ?

sp123

I think it may be to cold and dry for the snow to accumulate very much next 4-5 days. I remember this happening other times when the temp falls below 10 degrees. I am referring to the lake effect snow belts in the UP

sweeperguy

I'm thinking the cold air is what triggers the heavy LES. The arctic air mass was headed in when John put up the forecast graphics of high accumulation of snow in the Keewenaw. I've been told in the past, the cold air causes the snow to fall after the open water of the lake warms the lower layers of air and fills it with moisture, then when that water laden air moves over land and cools from the Arctic air above it. That causes the snow to be squeezed out of the air. I believe this is also why LES tends not to show up on radar, since it's not actually falling from clouds.
So, Slimcake, I'm thinking your all good if your in the UP.
That's my interpretation of Lake Effect Snow. I may be wrong. If I am wrong about this John please correct me so that I do not pass on bad info in the future.

Last edited:

groomerdriver

I'm not John but I know wind direction and speeds have an effect. There are also other factors that hopefully John will fill us in on.

I'm heading up Monday morning for the week, just not sure if I will ride the Western or Eastern side of the UP. I also hope it's EPIC!

sweeperguy

I'm heading up Monday morning for the week, just not sure if I will ride the Western or Eastern side of the UP. I also hope it's EPIC!

You probably can't ride to much farther east than Paradise. Sounds like Munising is good. Talked to my Dad in Sault Ste Marie, trails from there to Brimley and south towards Cedarvile, St.Ignace are poor.

Thanks sweeperguy, figured we would stop in Paradise area. I would like to get out to Whitefish point. Wasn't enough snow last March to get there. Would like to go back up in March this year too and will try to get to Sault Ste Marie. Hoping we can ride from Watersmeet, but it will be a last minute decision. We are going to head towards Big Bay, Grand Marias and over to Paradise. Trying to stay where the big LES is predicted.

chords

lksnw.gif

I'ts never to cold to snow. Radar may not pick uo LES because it's "under the radar" Just depends cause Rader is straight line of sight. Yeah thats pretty much how LES works

L

lenny

It's cold here and snowed in Greenland last night, still snowing

Attachments

• image-3471492633.jpg
    image-3471492633.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 242

rmk4ever

Lenny, my back up sled 2000 sks 700 old big block. Seems to have gotten water inside the recoil & when i thaw it out i can pull but let sit over nite & frozen again, puttin heat back on it. But aside from pulling that all apart what are my options? Thx

sp123

I should have clarified when it gets this cold the snow totals seems to be less cause the snow is so dense and snow flakes are smaller.

L

lenny

Lenny, my back up sled 2000 sks 700 old big block. Seems to have gotten water inside the recoil & when i thaw it out i can pull but let sit over nite & frozen again, puttin heat back on it. But aside from pulling that all apart what are my options? Thx
throw a ready heater at it for an hr, may just dry it up. I had the same thing happen on a throttle cable on a snow blower for a complete year. Blew the big heater at it for a hr and never did it again