Tofte Mn conditions

xplorer

3/8 Ride

Dumped at Dos Harbors lot yesterday AM and were the 3rd and 4th sleds on a freshly groomed trail headed north. Took the moosewalk/run loop and back to the NSST and up to the Tomahawk. Also freshly groomed!
Stopped at the Trestle for a trainwreck and then over to the Knotted Pine. We were going to head down the Yukon, but did a couple miles and it was pretty bumpy, so we bailed and backtracked to the Wolftrack at Isabella and ran back down to the moosewalk and around to the NSST and back down to the lot. 170 quick miles.

The last 30 miles were getting really soft with bare spots on the trail and snirt in others. Was 45 when we got back to the lot, and was still 36 at 6 this morning here in duluth.

Gotta believe the lower shore is history with this weeks temps. I will say the Tomahawk was in AWESOME shape.

I would really think about going further north, like the gunflint trail and grand marais. Highs for Finland/Isabella are from 40-45 the whole week, with a chance for light showers on friday.

bpplatt

Dumped at Dos Harbors lot yesterday AM and were the 3rd and 4th sleds on a freshly groomed trail headed north. Took the moosewalk/run loop and back to the NSST and up to the Tomahawk. Also freshly groomed!
Stopped at the Trestle for a trainwreck and then over to the Knotted Pine. We were going to head down the Yukon, but did a couple miles and it was pretty bumpy, so we bailed and backtracked to the Wolftrack at Isabella and ran back down to the moosewalk and around to the NSST and back down to the lot. 170 quick miles.

The last 30 miles were getting really soft with bare spots on the trail and snirt in others. Was 45 when we got back to the lot, and was still 36 at 6 this morning here in duluth.

Gotta believe the lower shore is history with this weeks temps. I will say the Tomahawk was in AWESOME shape.

I would really think about going further north, like the gunflint trail and grand marais. Highs for Finland/Isabella are from 40-45 the whole week, with a chance for light showers on friday.

Thanks for the update, that stinks.
I have a trip planned for this coming weekend to Finland... Gonna scrap it..

tedwardo123

Finland still good

Thanks for the update, that stinks.
I have a trip planned for this coming weekend to Finland... Gonna scrap it..

You'll have plenty of snow if you ride from Tofte and North. .....take Cook County 2 North out of Tofte until you intersect with the trail. Go North from there and you'll have plenty of snow to ride on even with a week of warm temperatures. It refreezes at night so you'll have plenty of snow..... The seasons is declared over way too early every year, we rode in May of last year a month after the trails were declared done. Most of the trail from Cook Cty 2 to Grand Marais is tree covered.. From Grand Marais and North the express way will lose snow first, so take the other more twisty-tree-covered route up to the Trail Center or Hungry Jack Lodge and back.

xcr440

You'll have plenty of snow if you ride from Tofte and North. .....take Cook County 2 North out of Tofte until you intersect with the trail. Go North from there and you'll have plenty of snow to ride on even with a week of warm temperatures. It refreezes at night so you'll have plenty of snow..... The seasons is declared over way too early every year, we rode in May of last year a month after the trails were declared done. Most of the trail from Cook Cty 2 to Grand Marais is tree covered.. From Grand Marais and North the express way will lose snow first, so take the other more twisty-tree-covered route up to the Trail Center or Hungry Jack Lodge and back.

Boy, I'd have to say good luck with that. They didn't have the snow this year they did last year, and with the temps in the 40's all week, I'd really be surprised if there is anything ridable by the weekend.

xplorer

Silver Bay, MN
1:03 PM CDT on March 10, 2015 (GMT -0500) Silver Bay Municipal | Change Station
Elev 1086 ft 47.25 °N, 91.42 °W | Updated 10 min ago

Clear
Clear
61 °F
Feels Like 61 °F
N10
Wind from West
Gusts 20 mph
Today is forecast to be MUCH WARMER than yesterday.

Today
High 60 | Low 28 °F
20% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 46 | Low 27 °F
Precip. 0 in
Sun & Moon 7:28 am 7:03 pm
Waning Gibbous, 79% visible
Pressure 29.64 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Dew Point 30 °F
Humidity 31%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.
UV 5 out of 12
Pollen 1.90 out of 12
Air Quality Not available.
Flu Activity Not available.
METAR KBFW 101754Z AUTO 27009G17KT 200V320 10SM CLR 16/M01 A2964 RMK AO2

40 degrees yes it will refreeze, 61 and sunny will leave nothing to refreeze :(
And its 52 in Tofte. I really think riding will be very limited by the weekend.

fastercat

Friends just came home from vermillion, trails are toast up there, they were supposed to stay there all week, and cut it short and said F it.

bpplatt

Friends just came home from vermillion, trails are toast up there, they were supposed to stay there all week, and cut it short and said F it.

Game over in Minnesota. What a dismal year for riding in the state (except for extreme north/northeast.....)

mngolf4

Wow, sure was an abrupt end to the season here in Minnesota. Glad we didn't have our last trip north planned 1 week later - it would have gone from good/excellent to toast.