Togwotee Forecast

xcpolaris

John,
Would it be possible for you to put a basic forecast for the Togwotee area, or the general western mountain area, in your text forecast? those of us, like you, that will be heading out there soon we like to know the general chanes fro some new snow.

I understand if you do not have time but just a thought.

Thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Realistically I am too busy to make it part of my regular forecast and would open up a can of worms I do not want to open!

With that said, I will try and pop into this thread to make updates when I have time. The forecast will be for the lodge, you can basically double and sometimes triple the snowfall that the lodge gets for some of the riding areas higher up in that same area. So here goes:

The bottom line is the pattern in the next week to ten days looks to be much more favorable for snow across the northern 1/2 to 2/3rds of the Rockies than has been see almost all winter.
Some snow showers will continue today, with around an inch or so of additional accumulation.
A stronger system looks to come in beginning tomorrow night and continue through Sunday and looks to bring the lodge around 3-6" of snow. Winds do not look to be too bad with the system for later tomorrow and Sunday.
Snows with that system will taper off on Monday, with the next system to arrive by Tue and continue into Wed. A general 4-8" looks to fall in the 2 day period of Tue/Wed.
A bit of light snow is possible Thursday, with accumulations of an inch or so.
It's a long way out, but there is yet another system see for next weekend and could be the biggest of the bunch in the next 10 days, with snows at the lodge of 6-12".
Be sure to check the Jackson Hole Avalanche Centers write ups for the avalanche conditions. It's a good idea to get a feel for the snowpack a week or more before you get there as things that lead to avalanches are not always the amount of fresh snow that has fallen. I am already going to that site for their write ups to get a feel for the snowpack.

-John

xcpolaris

John, thank you for the information. I will be out there riding the 24-26 so things look pretty good. Our guide on Friday is Lefty!
I will check back in middle of next week to see if you have an update.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Well, have a few seconds of free time, so I thought I would update.

So far things have panned out pretty well based on Friday's forecast and I do not have a ton of deviations to that forecast. The second system is underway there and it still looks like a solid 4-8" for them in the next 48-60 hours, although I would think there are better chances for the 8" totals at the lodge than the 4 and would not even be totally surprised to hear about more than 8" falling in the next 60 hours.

The weekend system also still looks to be on track, with a general 6-12" at the lodge for Saturday and Sunday, although it's still far enough out that ideas could change a bit and I would concentrate more on the low end of that range (6-8") than on the high end (10-12") for now, that way surprises could be pleasant.

I can add that another system looks to be in the offing for around the middle of next week and very early ideas are for a general 3-6"+ to fall at the lodge.

The bottom line is the best conditions of the season could be setting up for the region by the second half of this week through all of next week and beyond.

-John

xcpolaris

Thanks John. I have seen the weather advisories calling for the snow and at high elevation 2+feet. Not going to bet my life on that but I hope I am plesantly surprised.

xcpolaris

John,

Just got back from the some of the best snowmobiling I have ever done. It was my first trip ever out west and real bottomless snow. I have to thank you for writing about Togowtee. Not sure i would ever have gone if you hadn't. The snow was great and the lodge was very nice. We had Lefty for a giude the first to days, man can he handle a sled and he is a really nice guy. We hung out with him every night. He really pushed me and my brother to to things. The second day, Saturday, teh weather turned on us and pushed us into the trees a little more which made for a tought day, we were both pretty sore from friday. Have a good time out there.

Thanks, Paul

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you had such a good time and got to ride with Lefty.

I am really looking forward to getting out there and trying to keep up with him for a week of riding this year as I am finally back to pretty good health.

-John

willey

John,

Just got back from the some of the best snowmobiling I have ever done. It was my first trip ever out west and real bottomless snow. I have to thank you for writing about Togowtee. Not sure i would ever have gone if you hadn't. The snow was great and the lodge was very nice. We had Lefty for a giude the first to days, man can he handle a sled and he is a really nice guy. We hung out with him every night. He really pushed me and my brother to to things. The second day, Saturday, teh weather turned on us and pushed us into the trees a little more which made for a tought day, we were both pretty sore from friday. Have a good time out there.

Thanks, Paul

That's awesome. Great way to experience the best the west has to offer for a first timer!