Tomahawk area Update 1-12-23

attakman

Even with the warm weather/ light rain, and lack of decent snowfall....the trails have been holding up well....Lakes have a little slush in spots, and are a bit rough (nothing 3 to 6 inches of snow won't fix)...we have a good base...just need some cooler weather and a bit more snow

I took a 70 mile loop last night and found really good trails.

The main railroad grade (the Hiawatha) is in Fair Condition, bumpy in spots with snirt mixed in...heavy traffic the last two weeks have hammered this trail especially between HWY 8, and just past Lake Nokomis...it needs more snow, and some grooming to get it back up to good condition.

One issue is we do have a groomer broke down right now, and are trying to cover a larger area with what we have operational...also it's been too warm to groom the last two nights (temps in mid 30s)..also a couple of swamps have opened up a bit with the rain and warm weather (so they have NOT been groomed)
HOWEVER...trails to the north and west of Lake Nokomis are EXCELLENT...flat smooth, and FAST, all the way out to the Willow...Forest Rider trails were also in Good to Very good condition...I was actually shocked how good it was last night, and will be heading out again tonight..it's just too good out there right now.

Same goes for the Harrison Hills (east of Tomahawk)...riders are reporting Good to Very good conditions

We had a dusting of light snow last night, and it's currently lightly snowing as I type this.

Still can not believe how good it was out there with our recent warm spell...conditions can of course change drastically with heavy traffic and warm weather...so keep that in mind when you ride, and keep doing those snow dances!!

starlaker

Even with the warm weather/ light rain, and lack of decent snowfall....the trails have been holding up well....Lakes have a little slush in spots, and are a bit rough (nothing 3 to 6 inches of snow won't fix)...we have a good base...just need some cooler weather and a bit more snow

I took a 70 mile loop last night and found really good trails.

The main railroad grade (the Hiawatha) is in Fair Condition, bumpy in spots with snirt mixed in...heavy traffic the last two weeks have hammered this trail especially between HWY 8, and just past Lake Nokomis...it needs more snow, and some grooming to get it back up to good condition.

One issue is we do have a groomer broke down right now, and are trying to cover a larger area with what we have operational...also it's been too warm to groom the last two nights (temps in mid 30s)..also a couple of swamps have opened up a bit with the rain and warm weather (so they have NOT been groomed)
HOWEVER...trails to the north and west of Lake Nokomis are EXCELLENT...flat smooth, and FAST, all the way out to the Willow...Forest Rider trails were also in Good to Very good condition...I was actually shocked how good it was last night, and will be heading out again tonight..it's just too good out there right now.

Same goes for the Harrison Hills (east of Tomahawk)...riders are reporting Good to Very good conditions

We had a dusting of light snow last night, and it's currently lightly snowing as I type this.

Still can not believe how good it was out there with our recent warm spell...conditions can of course change drastically with heavy traffic and warm weather...so keep that in mind when you ride, and keep doing those snow dances!!
Thanks for the update Attackman. Now I'm torn Price or Tomahawk this upcoming weekend. May have to flip a coin.

attakman

UPDATE 1/13/23...we have our Piston Bully back up and running, and we were able to groom a few swampy areas...however one of our tractor's remains down....hoping to have it fixed soon.

attakman

BTW...expecting RAIN, and 40 degrees monday...please park your sled, and don't ride in the rain....let's try and preserve our base, so it lasts the rest of the season...thanks

So back to Price Saturday AM Once again they did not disappoint, Off the trails Sunday by noon, lots of traffic compared to last weekend but many have today off so took advantage of the extra day, all nice riders and all great trails, so if ma nature would get her panties out of a bunch and give us a little snow after the rain and people take it easy on the trails we may be ok, Hoping for a couple more weekends. Farthest east we got was Bucksnort for lunch Saturday, The place was packed but we had great service and a great meal. Looks like in a week or two they will be under new ownership. Good luck to the new owners.