Tomahawk to Gogebic

ryheilig

Planning on dropping off in Tomahawk and back backing north, staying the first night in Gogebic area. Whats the best way to go? We have gone through Land O Lakes before. Does the gas station sell Michigan Trail Passes and any idea how late they are open? Or other good routes to go?

duramax

Planning on dropping off in Tomahawk and back backing north, staying the first night in Gogebic area. Whats the best way to go? We have gone through Land O Lakes before. Does the gas station sell Michigan Trail Passes and any idea how late they are open? Or other good routes to go?

The BP in Lando does sell michigan passes. Not sure how late there open.

Attak man

I wouldn't go through Lando....check around...some other places do sell Michigan trail passes (check in Mercer)....I would tell you to take the Hiawatha from Tomahawk...connect with the Bearskin at Hwy K...then right before you get to Hazelhurst...turn right on trail 12....take it to Lake Tom...once in Lake Tom...take trail 17 (the hwy 47 railroad grade)all the way to Mercer...from Mercer take trail 6 to Presque isle...at Presque Isle take trail 1 north into Michigan...follow the signs to Lake Gogebic...again...I thought the Arctic Cat shop in mercer sold trail passes (I could be wrong)...I know Tomahawk Sports Center sells Wisconsin passes, but you'd have to ask Jody if she sells Michigan too....you could always risk it, and buy them when you get to Bergland.

Attak man

FYI...Zastrow's lynx lake lodge in Presque Isle is listed as a place to buy Michigan trail passes (you can call them 715-686-2249)...also...there are a couple places in Marinesco....(check the Michigan DNR site for list)...I don't think you will get busted if you stop right away in Marinesco, and buy them there (but don't hold me to it)

egras

I wouldn't go through Lando....check around...some other places do sell Michigan trail passes (check in Mercer)....I would tell you to take the Hiawatha from Tomahawk...connect with the Bearskin at Hwy K...then right before you get to Hazelhurst...turn right on trail 12....take it to Lake Tom...once in Lake Tom...take trail 17 (the hwy 47 railroad grade)all the way to Mercer...from Mercer take trail 6 to Presque isle...at Presque Isle take trail 1 north into Michigan...follow the signs to Lake Gogebic...again...I thought the Arctic Cat shop in mercer sold trail passes (I could be wrong)...I know Tomahawk Sports Center sells Wisconsin passes, but you'd have to ask Jody if she sells Michigan too....you could always risk it, and buy them when you get to Bergland.

I agree. Have gone this way before and yes, you can buy trail passes in Presque Isle at the gas station. (at least as of a couple of years ago)

marty700

If you take the route suggested by Attack man (which is just as good as any other route, IMO), you can buy Michigan trail passes at Dietz's gas station in Manitowish Waters, WI, or at Karsyn’s Korner (formely Thoma’s Mini Mart - I think its still a BP gas station) in Presque Isle, WI. You could also take the Bearskin into Minocqua and jump on the 17 grade in Minocqua for the run up to Mercer. (When approaching Minocqua, stay to the West of Hwy.51 9i.e., don't go under the Hwy.51 bridge) and get off Lake Minocqua at Hwy 70 and go West a few blocks to pick up 10 North, which will intersect right away with the 17 grade trail.)