Tomahawk to Hazelhurst to Lac du Flambeau 12/31

attakman

Took a spin this evening from my house near Lake Nokomis to my mom's place up in Flambeau...the Hiawatha from nokomis heading north had some snirt, but wasn't bad..id rate it fair, early season condition...the bearskin from hwy K to Hazelhurst was fair to good, and mostly white...I noticed the snow seemed deeper from the Harshaw area and north...trails were whiter, and snow was deeper on the edge of the trail...I jumped off the bearskin at hazelhurst, and ran some back roads up to 10 W...snow again seemed a bit deeper near squirrel lake...10 had plenty of snow on it...even running the side of the roads wasn't bad...but 10W was rough (bumpy), as was C north to Buckskin Lake ..Buckskin was not marked, even though they claimed it would be...I would not have taken C had I known that..dont like crossing unmarked lakes at night....got across with no issues...but none the less spooky, as it was snowing hard at the time so visibility was poor....stopped at the cricket to warm up a bit, and headed up to my moms..about 57 miles of fooling around.
In a nutshell..trails are rideable, and fair to good in spots...but very bumpy from very heavy traffic...we need more snow so the clubs can groom/fill in some of the holes, and gaps...what we have is a start, and a decent base...nothing more....its definitely early season conditions out there...so take it easy.
Side note...Nokomis is not fully marked...yet..so becareful out there

mbo285

Anyone know what the big stakes and roped off section on buckskin lake is all about? It was on the north side near where the trail meets the lake.

attakman

Yes...if you look in that roped off area...there are aerators...I believe Buckskin has low oxygen levels, and these aerators help keep the lake from having large numbers of fish being winter killed