Tomahawk to Hurley Wi

Seyaltr

Has anyone ever rode from Tomahawk area to Hurley? Any idea of the length of the trip in time? Any suggested routes to take.

1-snowbullet

there are several ways to go .. i live in marathon city so i head east to medford threw athens then up to philips catch 12 to 19 north then when i get to chawamagan forest i catch springstead road then trail along 182 to the west then to trail 17 out of lack to flambo head north to hurley takes me 4 hrs to go to chawamagan forest about another 2 to 3 to hurley going about 35-60 mph.. my sugjestion is get ahold of a few local maps from around the areas you plan on traveling .. ok i took my WI. map out .. i hate the thing but acording to that map 17 goes all the way for you but keep in mind it doesnt show off beat routes (( short cuts )) ..thats why i said get ahold of maps from around the areas there are oodels of off beat short cuts .. enjoy and keep you rubber side down ..

jr37

Has anyone ever rode from Tomahawk area to Hurley? Any idea of the length of the trip in time? Any suggested routes to take.

I can't tell you trail numbers, I just ride from memory. If you want to make the trip fast you take the Hiawatha trail, that starts in Tomahawk, to the Bearskin trail, that ends in Minoqua. Those two trails are old railroad grade. Once in Minoqua the trail snakes around a little for a couple of miles to get you out of town. If you follow the signs right to take you to Mercer or Hurley, you will end up on another raildoad grade north of Minoqua. Stay on that trail all the way to Hurley. (Stop at the Great Northern in Mercer to see the animal mounts). It's not a 3 hour ride if you stick to these old railroad beds.

If you want a more scenic ride, go west of Tomahawk to Tripoli and ride north. Again, I don't know trail numbers, you would need to refer to a map. This route may add an hour or two to your ride depending on your riding style

Seyaltr

Thanks for all the great information

I appreciate the quick response to my question. I'm new to the sport but love everything about it. Thanks again for all the responses

jr37 is right about the RR grades. When you get to Minocqua where the Bearskin ends you get down onto the lake and go to the east end of the lake. Get onto trail 47 north (RR grade) there and follow it into town and across Snake Lake, and across US 51. Trail 47 will be a RR grade taking you northwest past LDF to Mercer. Then get on the RR grade (trail 17?) north to Hurley. It is an easy ride. We've done that route before and I think it was about 175 - 200 miles round trip.

TDH784

I have done the Tomahawk to Hurley ride a few times now. As everyone above mentioned, the RR grade trails make for a quick trip up to Hurley. On our way back from Hurley last year, our group left a little before noon from Hurley and we decided to head through the Turtle Flambeau Flowage area and down through the Chequamegon National Forest area to Tripoli and over to Lake Mohawksin (The main reason we took this route is due to there being no snow from Mercer to Lac Du Flambeau on the RR grade - so we wanted to try an alternate route in hopes of more snow on the trails - and it worked out well). We ate supper at The Happy Snapper in Tomahawk around 5-5:30, so the route through the Flambeau Flowage took just over 5 hours and we were going at a comfortable pace.

I enjoyed the ride through the Flambeau Flowage area and the Chequamegon Forest quite a bit more than just riding on the RR grade up to Hurley. Although the RR grade is great if you are in a hurry and crunched for time.

egras

Once you get to Hurley, may i suggest heading north and west towards Saxon Harbor. It is about 20-25 miles (?) Beautiful country!!! Head through Pence and Saxon and it is about 10 miles past Saxon. Once at the Frontier bar on the highway you will head north to the shores of Lake Superior. Beautiful ride. Then back track to the Frontier bar, and head back towards Hurley on the railroad grade. Except, instead of going back to Hurley, take the first right and head towards Upson and loop back that way and you will come out between Hurley and Mercer back on the railroad grade. We ride this ride every year from Tomahawk area. We have breakfast in Mercer around 9:30, lunch at the Frontier bar, and supper at Great Northern or back in Minocqua. Also, can cut a lot of the railroad riding out if you stay out of Minocqua. Head to the west side of Minocqua on trail 10 and ride that back down to the Willow Flowage area. Making me want to ride just talking about it!!!

P.S.---do this ride on a wednesday or Thursday. Do not do on a Saturday or Sunday unless you brought your back brace.

Seyaltr

Thanks for all the great information

I've done that portion of the ride before. I too recommend the Saxon ride and on to Lake Superior. I returned on the Michigan side on trail 160 (?). It was a really nice ride through the woods and back into Hurley. Kind of crazy that the first thing you see when you come back out of the woods is Walmart but the ride is great and thanks for the information about getting up there on the railroad beds.

lukester

Last year the wife and I left the GREAT NORTHERN and rode the railroad grades south to Tomahawk at 45-55 ish speeds. We had lunch at ALPINE (Oneida Lake) 2 hours 15 min later.
Then back to Lake Alice (Tomahawk) 20 min.
2.5 hour trip No problem.

MELROSEMAFIA

Once you get to Hurley, may i suggest heading north and west towards Saxon Harbor. It is about 20-25 miles (?) Beautiful country!!! Head through Pence and Saxon and it is about 10 miles past Saxon. Once at the Frontier bar on the highway you will head north to the shores of Lake Superior. Beautiful ride. Then back track to the Frontier bar, and head back towards Hurley on the railroad grade. Except, instead of going back to Hurley, take the first right and head towards Upson and loop back that way and you will come out between Hurley and Mercer back on the railroad grade. We ride this ride every year from Tomahawk area. We have breakfast in Mercer around 9:30, lunch at the Frontier bar, and supper at Great Northern or back in Minocqua. Also, can cut a lot of the railroad riding out if you stay out of Minocqua. Head to the west side of Minocqua on trail 10 and ride that back down to the Willow Flowage area. Making me want to ride just talking about it!!!

P.S.---do this ride on a wednesday or Thursday. Do not do on a Saturday or Sunday unless you brought your back brace.

I did a R.T. from the Super8 in Tomahawk to the bar in Saxon and back via the RR Grades...it was a 239 mi rt...