Tomahawk trail update 2-9-23

attakman

Trails are holding there own...but it did get soft, and there are puddles in some areas from the warm temps....for the most part trails are fair to good.
The better riding as usual is in the wooded areas....the railroad grades (Hiawatha, and Bearskin), are fair to poor in spots, and really took a hit from the warm weather....the lakes though aren't bad...I wasn't hitting much slush or water.

Mother nature just isn't cooperating...it's too warm, and the current storm is passing well to our south...we might get a dusting if we are lucky

Our base is holding up good so far but we need cooler weather, and another shot of fresh snow to keep things rolling....warm temps and rain...will really hurt (extended forecast not looking good). Ride when you can

starlaker

Thanks for the update Attakman. May have to trailer up to the park and ride early on sat ride and then head home. Was sure hoping that we would have received some snow today or tomorrow. Oh Well it was a good year for us. Might be the last ride of the season. Thanks for the info throughout the season. Appreciate it.

attakman

it was 14 degrees this morning...all the area clubs were out and grooming overnight...trails should set up nicely, and hold for awhile...will they last with warm temps expected this weekend?...that is the question...but I will say if it gets down into the 20s for lows...we should be fine, as the clubs will be able to groom....I'm more concerned about the extended forecast for next week...with several days of temps in the upper 30s and potential rain (let's hope they are wrong)....Rain would make a mess of things in a hurry....but as of right now the trails are still in decent shape, especially in the wooded areas northwest of lake nokomis , and east of Tomahawk (harrison)...the railroad grade is in fair condition...with some snirty areas especially from Hwy 8 north to Nokomis Road...and near all road crossings.....we need more snow to really help things out...lets hope we get some

it was 14 degrees this morning...all the area clubs were out and grooming overnight...trails should set up nicely, and hold for awhile...will they last with warm temps expected this weekend?...that is the question...but I will say if it gets down into the 20s for lows...we should be fine, as the clubs will be able to groom....I'm more concerned about the extended forecast for next week...with several days of temps in the upper 30s and potential rain (let's hope they are wrong)....Rain would make a mess of things in a hurry....but as of right now the trails are still in decent shape, especially in the wooded areas northwest of lake nokomis , and east of Tomahawk (harrison)...the railroad grade is in fair condition...with some snirty areas especially from Hwy 8 north to Nokomis Road...and near all road crossings.....we need more snow to really help things out...lets hope we get some
attakman you nailed it, On the trail by 8am headed on S toward Harrison, trails were good to very good, not many sleds but we were out early 100 miles later back home by 300, think we will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

attakman you nailed it, On the trail by 8am headed on S toward Harrison, trails were good to very good, not many sleds but we were out early 100 miles later back home by 300, think we will try again tomorrow.
Yep...I rolled into Tomahawk at 6am Saturday morning too...Parked at Sara Park and took off for Hurley...The only trails that weren't groomed were the Northern Horseshoe trails everything else was perfect till noon...Looked like about 80 sleds parked overnight behind the Great Northern...lol...The return trip back down to Tomahawk was all the reminder I needed to NEVER ride the northwoods again on a weekend...The Rickys were out in full force...

attakman

Yep...couldn't believe how busy it was ...the Hiawatha deteriorated rapidly...and is fair at best right now and in poor condition from hollys intersection to nokomis road..its all snirt, dirt and mud...the base is completely chewed up...its 43 degrees right now and sunny...roads are getting bare...the wooded trails are holding well though...if we can just get 3 to 6 inches of snow...things will improve again...hoping Thursday is a home run and we get some snow..but if it misses us, or we only get a dusting, my sled will be parked from Monday on tfn.

SHOOT2KILL

When I turned onto Hwy 86 from 39 and looked at the hotel right there and saw 30+ sleds parked, and the parking lot full of trucks/trailers, it was a wtf moment...Then I decide to go look at Super 8 and see how many sledders were there...Another wtf moment, it was packed solid, no room for even 1 more truck/trailer...Even the 4 seasons motel was packed...Im glad I made the decision to get there at the time I did...When I started riding I was the second set of tracks on the grade going north all the way to Lk Minocqua...Pleasantly surprised the trail by the High School was groomed perfectly flat, and fully covered with snow... a rare oddity...What I did notice, the groomer dudes have been slowly slicing away the excess snow on the edge of the trail and pushing it into the middle, and now almost all the way to Hurley the trails are at their limit for width...Right to the tree line...I did witness a potential disaster...While on the way back, while waiting for traffic to clear crossing Hwy 70 just west of the H.S. A woman got impatient and all of a sudden hammers the throttle to cross and the track just spins while a truck driving down the road had to slam on the brakes or she would have gotten splattered...

Last edited:

attakman

Not looking good at all...my sled is parked...you can still hit the wooded trails....but the railroad grade is toast...I don't want to throw in the towel just yet...it's only the middle of february after all...but we really need snow and colder weather...or we will be closed sooner rather than later