Tomahawk Update 2-28-23

attakman

Trails are in good to excellent condition with our recent snowfall....anywhere from 3 (Tomahawk Area) to 5 inches(Lac du Flambeau) of snow fell across the northwoods...clubs are out and grooming...and the trails look awesome right now.....they should be good for the weekend (and possibly for a couple weeks if mother nature cooperates)...looks like another 1-3 in the forecast for tonight into tomorrow morning, which is an added bonus.

Keep in mind that any areas that get direct sunlight probably won't last long (road crossings, near roads, and north sides of sun exposed areas)
There is some ice in the corners, so slow down and stay right.....with warm weather (mid 30's) expected for the weekend, the railroad grade (Hiawatha and Bearskin ) will deteriorate rapidly with heavy traffic....use it sparingly to get to point A or Point B and you will be fine....the warm weather, rain and heavy traffic a couple of weeks ago took the base right off it in places....so it doesn't take long to melt down now. Wooded trails are holding up beautifully (again watch the corners for ice)

Also Lakes are still in decent shape...with 20 to 24 inches of ice on most...stay close to the markers and you will be just fine...stay away from bridges, open water and dams....(common sense folks)....Ice is NEVER considered safe...but stick to the markers and you'll be fine.

It's another great week/weekend of riding....get out and ride if you can....these trails don't get much better than this.....the clock on our season is now counting down.

attakman

Any info on the sledder who drowned somewhere in Lincoln Co. last week...Wondering which lake it was

It was Somo lake west of Tomahawk, and he was way off the marked trail....it's an area some locals use ...but I do not...it's never safe

attakman

The direct sunlight today...is melting snow rapidly on plowed pavement...good thing another 1-3 in the forecast for late tonight into tomorrow..it's scary how quickly it was melting today in the sun. (anything in direct sunlight)

whitedust

The direct sunlight today...is melting snow rapidly on plowed pavement...good thing another 1-3 in the forecast for late tonight into tomorrow..it's scary how quickly it was melting today in the sun. (anything in direct sunlight)
Ya that time bluebird days now will do more damage than cold rain. Filtered sun not too bad but bluebird days you feel like sun bathing the sun is so warm.

pclark

Yes, it was crazy how much of the new 6" of snow melted on Tuesday where we reached a high of 35 in MW but it was full sun, roads that were snowcovered are now bare so my advice is if you are coming to ride better do it now. Friday through Monday shows temps in the high 30's and cloudy with no snow. Getting to that time of year where you will have to go find the good but you will have to experience a little bad to get there, Hint: Start early in the morning, get away from towns, understand also that it's March and a lot of bars up here close or have shorter hours because it's coming to an end soon so you may want to take a snack with you. There is still loads of snow as of this morning and we are supposed to get 2-4" today.

whitedust

Yes, it was crazy how much of the new 6" of snow melted on Tuesday where we reached a high of 35 in MW but it was full sun, roads that were snowcovered are now bare so my advice is if you are coming to ride better do it now. Friday through Monday shows temps in the high 30's and cloudy with no snow. Getting to that time of year where you will have to go find the good but you will have to experience a little bad to get there, Hint: Start early in the morning, get away from towns, understand also that it's March and a lot of bars up here close or have shorter hours because it's coming to an end soon so you may want to take a snack with you. There is still loads of snow as of this morning and we are supposed to get 2-4" today.
Yep Paul those are exactly the reasons I threw in the towel just not the ROI for a trip investment like I had in January. It’s disappointing but this year has been warm for a winter season and we had to pick and choose our week in January. Hopefully conditions will be more consistent for a longer time next season so we can take multiple trips.

attakman

It's still lightly snowing here as of 730pm...so far a little over 2 inches of nice wet snow...lots of sleds out today...I will try and get out this weekend...but im working alot...so we'll see...would like to see two more weeks of riding...but that may be pushing it depending on mother nature

attakman

Ended up with over 3 inches ...closer to 4....but while it's cold right now( 21 degrees)...it's mostly sunny, and that sun is not our friend....should be good riding the end of this week, and this weekend...but with temps in the upper 30's both saturday and sunday, and heavy traffic....conditions could deteriorate rapidly....plenty of snow in the woods, and decent ice on the lakes (where they are marked)...but we'll see what mother nature does..I'm hoping we will get two more weeks of riding...but we'll see

hermie

If they are correct about the temperature going way below normal on average and with a couple of snows in the forecast after the weekend I am guessing at least 2 more weekends after this weekend.