Tomahawk Update 3-6-23

attakman

Its starting to be end of season riding conditions....though there is alot of snow in the woods, it doesn't take much sun to turn a trail from good to poor in a matter of hours...we did receive 2 plus inches of snow over night...good wet snow (but nowhere near the 4 to 6 that was forecast), and it definitely helped the trails...but...with warm weather expected (highs in the upper 30s) the next 3 days...we'll have to keep our eyes on it.....Trails over the weekend, even with the warm weather were very good to excellent in the wooded areas....along roads, and in town, trails took a big hit with the direct sun light....it got very soft out there...the railroad grade was shot by 1 pm saturday.

I thought we might get two more weeks of riding in...and we still might depending on the weather....but the railroad grade is TOAST...there is ZERO base on it anymore....any fresh snow helps it, and it looks good today....it won't last long though with warm temps and direct sunlight....looks like more snow heading into this weekend....which with cooler temps could definitely extend the season.

attakman

Looks like the system Thursday into Friday is going to miss us....1 to 2 inches for the Northwoods...2-4 across central Wisconsin, with a potential for more south of Highway 10.

Still getting reports of Good conditions back in the wooded areas away from town, and high traffic areas....the Hiawatha, is in fair condition right now...but heavy traffic, warm temps, or direct sunlight will hurt it quickly....any trails along roads will be bare, and most crossings are pure pavement. With a little bit of snow in the forecast, this weekend should be decent......noticed more light snow for next Sunday into Monday...and more again late next week...every little bit helps....and could keep the season rolling...we'll wait and see...but it's definitely starting to be late season/spring riding...conditions can and will change hourly....so start early and end early each day....and stay away from the heavy traffic areas...head east from Tomahawk, or go north, and northwest from Lake Nokomis for the better riding.

attakman

Update 3-10-23.....we got 3 inches over night...good wet heavy snow ( a little over 2 inches in Lac du flambeau, and a little over 3 inches near Lake Nokomis...the heavier stuff 5 to 6 inches was in a line from Medford to Wausau, and even more further south)....AND....MORE SNOW COMING for Saturday through Monday...the local TV stations are all over the place with this one...I've seen from 2 to 4, to 5-8 depending on who you want to believe...NWS Green Bay is now thinking 4 plus for much of the region (with 6 or more inches in some locations)..plus the temps will be cooler through the beginning of the week..so we should hold what we get...should be another fantastic weekend to ride, and looks like we WILL still be riding here in the Northwoods for Saint Patrick's weekend.

hermie

Update 3-10-23.....we got 3 inches over night...good wet heavy snow ( a little over 2 inches in Lac du flambeau, and a little over 3 inches near Lake Nokomis...the heavier stuff 5 to 6 inches was in a line from Medford to Wausau, and even more further south)....AND....MORE SNOW COMING for Saturday through Monday...the local TV stations are all over the place with this one...I've seen from 2 to 4, to 5-8 depending on who you want to believe...NWS Green Bay is now thinking 4 plus for much of the region (with 6 or more inches in some locations)..plus the temps will be cooler through the beginning of the week..so we should hold what we get...should be another fantastic weekend to ride, and looks like we WILL still be riding here in the Northwoods for Saint Patrick's weekend.
Well we were hoping for 2 more weeks and it looks like we are getting lucky and going to be able 1 despite not getting that well below normal temperature they were predicting. 👍👍

attakman

Updated...3-12-23...I rode from nokomis to Flambeau yesterday...even took the railroad grades...was shocked how good it was...from Giraffe to the Rock Garden was very good...all white no rocks...I only found two bad spots on the bearskin...one was a muddy, gravel section under highway 51 bridge just south of highway K, and the other bad section was from Doctor Pink drive into minocqua..it was thin....also in an around walmart/trigs was thin, with bare roads..also found a few thin spots leaving woodruff on the 17 grade...but it got better once u got past fence lake...will be riding back later today...but trails should be excellent as we received 4 plus inches of fresh snow over night (in flambeau)...and 7 inches at my house in nokomis, and it's still SNOWING...according to nws, we are expecting another 3 to 6 here, with even more closer to the highway 29 corridor and east, south east of there...it ain't over people 20230312_092431.jpg

liv2ride

Did some riding this weekend around the Willow Flowage area down to Tomahawk and across Price County. All trails were in the best condition I can remember in years! Usually in March, I need to think about what trails I ride to stay off trails that ride the road in sections. Not a problem this past weekend! I think this might be the first time in many years that I will be able to ride right up to March 31st. It's been a great season for sure. Thank you Attakman for your very accurate snow reports!