Tomahawk Wi. Area : Best trails and Pitstops : Couples trip 2/11-2/13

gen2

Going to spend Friday thru Sunday 2/11-2/13 at The Super 8 in Tomahawk . 1st trip the wife and I have taken together for many years. I've stayed very active in the sport but the wife is just getting back into it and hasn't ridden much in the past 5 years . Hoping the snow comes that they are calling for and it doesn't turn into a blizzard conditions on Saturday with the winds they are talking about.

I don't foresee us putting on any big miles, just being outdoors together .
Looking for some advice on some popular/fun spots to have breakfast ,lunch, and supper at as well as some favorite spots to warm up at in between .
Also if there any trails to "avoid" , or any trails to definitely "take " .

Any advice is much appreciated .

attakman

Lots of great places to eat...Sandwiches ,chili, soup, salads etc/ sports bar type places include Billy Bob's, Tilted Loon, Outboards (all near or just off the railroad grade...several places also have good pizza (Twin Bay, as well)
Supper Club's...include Pine Tree (Down Town, a little tricky by sled...but very good steaks, fish fry etc)..Silver Birch, and Besse's on Clear Lake is another,
For breakfast you have the family restaurant in town.
Pick up a map when u get to town, and it will show you where these places are located...most are easy to get at off the railroad grade.

The key will be snow, and how much we get as the grade is very thin right now, and I personally would stay off it until we get fresh snow...it is the main spur, and where u are staying it will be the best way to get to places to eat and to get to the better trails.

It is a nice easy ride up to the Lake Nakomis area, take your wife to Bootleggers for dinner. It is a traditional supper club right on the lake. Ribeye and prime rib are both excellent there. Lots of great bars in this area too.

renegade600

Many good places around the Tomahawk area to eat. As noted, the Lake Nokomis area has Bootleggers (Supper Club), Billy Bobs, Tilted Loon, Twin Bay, Thirsty Giraffe all bars with good food.

Ride out to the Willow Reservoir area, and there are more places out there.....In Tomahawk places were already covered in this post, all are excellent....

Have fun! If we were going to be there this weekend, we could show you around.

SHOOT2KILL

Going to spend Friday thru Sunday 2/11-2/13 at The Super 8 in Tomahawk . 1st trip the wife and I have taken together for many years. I've stayed very active in the sport but the wife is just getting back into it and hasn't ridden much in the past 5 years . Hoping the snow comes that they are calling for and it doesn't turn into a blizzard conditions on Saturday with the winds they are talking about.

I don't foresee us putting on any big miles, just being outdoors together .
Looking for some advice on some popular/fun spots to have breakfast ,lunch, and supper at as well as some favorite spots to warm up at in between .
Also if there any trails to "avoid" , or any trails to definitely "take " .

Any advice is much appreciated .
Regarding the Super 8 in Tomahawk...3 weeks ago I pulled in there on a wednesday @ 7a.m. Went in and talked to the receptionist about renting a room for that night...Her reply was something I have never heard from any hotel ever in the 53 seasons I have been riding...Her response was..." Im sorry we dont have any rooms available for tonight...The cleaning crew bailed on us and every room in the hotel right now is dirty"...Sooo off to the Rustic Manor in St Germain I went...I hope things work out better for you this weekend...

Last edited:

blkhwkbob

Regarding the Super 8 in Tomahawk...3 weeks ago I pulled in there on a wednesday @ 7a.m. Went in and talked to the receptionist about renting a room for that night...Her reply was something I have never heard from any hotel ever in the 53 seasons I have been riding...Her response was..." Im sorry we dont have any rooms available for tonight...The cleaning crew bailed on us and every room in the hotel right now is dirty"...Sooo off to the Rustic Manor in St Germain I went...I hope things work out better for you this weekend
Now you're going to hurt feelings on here. Everything is always perfect in the Northwoods.

I believe that Bootleggers was sold and undergoing remodeling. I think it's closed. If you want a nice place to stay, the Centerstone Lake Aire is very nice for a couple. Billy Bobs and Tilted Loon have good food right down the street. Holly's says they will cook until latenight so if you're out late remember that.

A cool short loop would be ride west to a place called "the Garage" and then loop around north and back east to Tomahawk.

It's a great area if they have the snow.

attakman

Bootleggers is closed for remodeling.....it is currently snowing ...so far 2 to 3 inches...trails could be much improved for the weekend...couldn't believe it...saw folks riding bare gravel on the grade today..this snow should help if people weren't blowing it off the trail while it was falling.

gen2

A cool short loop would be ride west to a place called "the Garage"
According to the facebook page, it says they are permanently closed ? can anyone confirm this ?

mojo

Garage is open under new owners good food if need gas about 4 miles to bp gas station on hwy 8 easy ride on the trail

gen2

is there more than 1 "Garage " ? The "Garage motel grill and bar" is right downtown tomahawk, almost next to our hotel according to the website .

confused ..

The Garage is renamed Gordo's Garage - they are on Facebook. Rode there 3 weeks ago, but beware the trail to the Garage on the south side of Hwy 8 can be rough. If you're coming from Lake Nokomis/Boomba area stay on the road trail instead if there is enough snow. Bootleggers was open last Saturday - rode through their parking lot and there were 10 cars there. I heard that they reopened for now because they couldn't get the materials needed for the remodeling they have planned, so the remodel is delayed.

gen2

Got here at 1130 am, road east to Lake Alice to bottoms up, then east to nut-zees, now parked at a barstool at Guppys, then head back to hotel. Trails have been great, but avoiding the high traffic areas. Thanks for all the advice !

sshooterz

Loon has great food. Boomba’s used to have great burgers and Bloody Marys. Billy Bobs is a staple in the area. If you decide to ride north, go to Pickles, formerly The Edge. Excellent food there too.

wisco-mb

I trailered up to the Park and Ride off 51/S Saturday. We left about 9am. We headed east on 16. Very scenic trails by Harrison! Lots of twisties there. I do not believe we met our fist sled till 50 miles in, right outside Summit Lake. There were about 5 sleds parked at Nutzees when we went past.
We didn't go too far south from there. Trails were great, and decent snow!

We ended up in the Tomahawk area on Friday. Headed over from Rhinelander and stopped at Billy Bob's for lunch. Food was great. I was surprised with all of the new snow that most trails that we were on were still snirty. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of snow, but it all had some brown in it. I knew from previous reports not to have my expectations high. So, it wasn't a big deal, but just an observation. Traffic was pretty heavy too. We did make one other stop at the Alpine resort. It was pretty crowded. There were some vintage guys there that had some neat rigs. They were dressed accordingly. Fun to see.

SHOOT2KILL

Was back up riding in Tomahawk early a.m. monday...The grade was fresh groomed when I got on it, so decided to go south this time...51s to 17s heading towards Merrill...Took that to the trail 19 intersection...Took 19n to 86e and back in to Tomahawk...The entire 60 mile loop ride was on virgin fresh groomed trail...Hats off to the groomer dudes...

Last edited: