top end rebuild

smitty440

I've got a 06 XFire Sp 700 with approximately 3500 miles on it. I noticed yesterday when I had the pipe off the pistons had brown (burning) spot on each of them. The sled ran fine last year. I have not checked the compression. I'm just wondering if it is time to rebuild the top end before something goes wrong.

snoluver1

Do you mean on the skirts below the rings? Like your thinking its blow by? If thats what your talking about and your running full synthetic oil, its normal.

smitty440

I am running full synthetic, yes the skirts below the ring are the brown color. If that is normal it's going to save me alot of work. I'll try to get some pics up.

sledheadjoe

I could not get any good pics of it. But the brown color is on the skirts and in between the rings.

I think you should be OK. I'm not a Cat guy but most pistons will get that brownish colour from blow by running synthetic oil. Picture below is my Doo piston with 7000kms and it's still good to go IMO (I replaced them while doing the bottom end in the summer because I was already into it that far and didn't want to cheap out).

Piston.jpg

Joe