Towing Extension Mirrors

harski

Anyone have experience with the clip on or strap fastening type of extension mirrors? Do they stay on? What do you like and dislike about them? Do they rub on the paint? What brand do you have? Looking to get something for a '16 Yukon XL Denali.

Thanks in advance!

Harski

tman

I use Milenco Grand Aero 3. They work great, easy on off and they come with a storage bag. Around a hundred bucks.

rmk4ever

The clip on & the strap on one's both became blurry after about 60 mph on both of my tow vehicles. Just opp for the "gmc tow mirrors" they go for 2-300$ but have heat & adjustable. Pretty easy to swap out

sweeperguy

I'd do what rmk4ever said swap out mirrors on truck to tow mirrors. I used strap on type in the past. No blur problem, but it was weird having 2 mirrors on the truck. Was hard to focus on the right one. Wish I could find tow mirrors for my Sport Trac.

harski

Thanks for the input. I don't think changing out the mirrors is an option for me as I don't like the way the OEM tow mirrors look on the suv's. They look fine on the trucks and I'd order a truck with them in a heartbeat but again, just not the suv's. So.....with that said, I'm stuck with the extensions. I'll be able to live with the blur from vibrating as long as they just stay on. We'll see, just exploring input.

Hey Sweep, looking for more mirrors to keep an eye on that new sled? It's not going anywhere, just keep looking ahead and you'll see it when you get there! LOL! I'm still jealous by the way! Dang you.....

Thanks again,

Harski

sweeperguy

New enclosed trailer last spring. So don't need to keep an eyeball on it. If I lose the whole trailer pretty sure I'll know it.

The extension mirrors I had were the ones with rubber straps. Never an issue with them coming off. Even drove them through bushes a couple times.
In fact I probably still have them, you can have em if you want. Ill look when I get home.

mezz

I recall a post from 3 years ago on this subject, check with your local RV store, there is a brand of mirror extension that fits right over the mirror head & it looks like a factory mirror. If I remember correctly, they are made by CIPA-USA. I know they make them for pickups, not sure about SUV, but, it may be worth a look. I've been pleased with mine for quite some time for both functionality & appearance.-Mezz

harski

Appreciate the further info! One thing that stood out at me on some of the reviews of Saber's recommendation is the aero of the mirrors (angled mirrors) and the straps not being able to form around them. My trucks mirrors are of the same type so I may only have one option. The pair that Mezz suggested are the ones I'm leaning on at the moment. Going to call the local Camping World to see what they have to say.

Thanks again!

Harski

stitcher

ragex2

i've had a couple sets of cipa slide-on shell mirrors that worked very well on my Dodges. no vibration, good view. they go on and off easily and even look pretty good. will be ordering a set for my new f150 soon....

fjr4me

Anyone have experience with the clip on or strap fastening type of extension mirrors? Do they stay on? What do you like and dislike about them? Do they rub on the paint? What brand do you have? Looking to get something for a '16 Yukon XL Denali.

Thanks in advance!

Harski

These are working well for me with the boat and sled trailer. Easy on and off and keeps all the functionality including the puddle lights and retraction feature.

https://www.etrailer.com/tm-2016_GMC_Yukon.htm

harski

I've decided to go with the clip on style mirror and will be making a purchase in the near future. I've also had to ad a blind spot mirrors too as you can't see a thing out the sides without one! Can't believe they don't have one on a vehicle of this size! Unbelievable!

Anyhow, thanks again for the input!

Harski

scoot

I've been using an inexpensive Farm & Fleet clip on set I bought 20 years ago without issues. Whether an inexpensive set or cheap, just get a something before you tow. How many of us have had to dodge Mr Magoo who doesn't have them blindly changing lanes? :rolleyes3:

harski

I've been using an inexpensive Farm & Fleet clip on set I bought 20 years ago without issues. Whether an inexpensive set or cheap, just get a something before you tow. How many of us have had to dodge Mr Magoo who doesn't have them blindly changing lanes? :rolleyes3:

I've had plenty of experiences with Mr Magoo that DID have towing mirrors! The worst is when the road is all slopped up and they cut in front of you and slop up your windshield! Thanks a lot pal! LOL!

Harski

harski

I thought I'd provide a brief assessment of the mirrors I purchased in case anyone may be considering. I ended up choosing the "snap" on type of mirrors from E trailer as seen in the link below;

https://www.etrailer.com/tm-2016_GMC_Yukon+XL.htm

Overall I am satisfied with my purchase and would suggest buying them if someone is really considering. Here is what I considered Pros and Con's;

Pros:
No Vibration
Can see enough around 7 1/2 foot wide trailer
Tight fit
Good price
Hole for courtesy lights on bottom of OEM mirror

Cons:
A little hard to get on. Keep your hand off the mirror when putting them on otherwise you'll have to readjust
Hard to adjust by yourself
Can't see a lot of detail behind you but at least you can see if someone is there.
Just a little minor rubbing on the lower side where it clips on. Not enough to bother me

Overall they served the purpose of what I was looking for and that was to see what was immediately behind me. I had concerns with them rubbing the paint on the mirror but I cannot see any rub marks other than where it snaps in on the lower front side. It also comes with a storage bag that has separate compartments which was nice when taking them off and putting them on the shelf or in the back of the truck. I would say the are worth a look if someone had similar needs to their purpose as I did.

Harski