towing more weight with a subaru forester 2019

flyinfinn

I would like to pull my 8x10 floe snowmobile trailer with my honda pioneer 700 on it.the honda weighs 1300 lbs.im not sure what the trailer weighs. the forester is rated to pull 1500 lbs.I am hoping someone that owns a forester that does this kind of towing can advise.I am planning a trip to the bighorns in wyoming in july.

1fujifilm

Hello Neighbor,
I am sorry to say, unless you want to burn out that CVT you may want to leave the ATV home and rent.

Bear

flyinfinn

I have been reading up on concerns such as that. the euro model can tow over 4000. they rate things different over there. I guess i will ask my 2004 chevy avalanche if he will haul us out there.

SledTL

I have been reading up on concerns such as that. the euro model can tow over 4000. they rate things different over there. I guess i will ask my 2004 chevy avalanche if he will haul us out there.

I have a 2006 CRV that I use to tow my single place snowmobile trailer. It comes in probably around 1000 and I dont think I would want to tow much more than that. It really isnt meant to do hard work and so even though I'm under the limit I still baby the crap out of it. Right lane, no hard acceleration, plenty of time to brake. Forester will probably be shot after making that kind of trip.

Hoosier

Yeah I think you have at least 3 strikes against you - towing with a CVT (never do it), towing over the weight limit (trailer plus honda will be way over it), and towing where you'll have some elevation changes.

Magnumb

Yeah I think you have at least 3 strikes against you - towing with a CVT (never do it), towing over the weight limit (trailer plus honda will be way over it), and towing where you'll have some elevation changes.

Subaru Ascent has a CVT with a 5k towing capacity and little to no reported issues on Ascent forum and Allision transmission is developing a CVT for Medium to Heavy duty commercial construction machinery. ZF cPOWER CVT Transmission

So yeah CVT had some issue at 1st, but Subaru, Toyota and Honda have worked out most of the issues over the past 15 years. Plus they are a joy to drive if you don't drive them like a teenager or a car journalist;) For everyday normal driving they are great and when towing up hills they put the engine is sweet spot 100% of the time. They as bad as most people make them out to be....but i will stay away from any Nissan CVTs or some of 8 speed RAM transmissions

Last edited:

flyinfinn

thanks for the response.I am not going to chance it. I am not going to install a hitch on it and just use my truck.

rp7x

Better go through a 2004 with a fine tooth comb before leaving town , you may need a tool box and or a credit card

Magnumb

Naw it will be fine if well maintained. Mpg will suck I know mine does.

Brake lines and on those are known to fail. I've seen a couple rusted out bad and rubber splices....they used a low grade steel for a couple of the years and it's a known problem.

whitedust

Brake lines and on those are known to fail. I've seen a couple rusted out bad and rubber splices....they used a low grade steel for a couple of the years and it's a known problem.

Mine is low milage no rust. I did have a high mileage Tahoe and new brake lines were included with brake job.

katden4

Depending on how many days of ridding you will do, you may be better off renting a SXS out there rather than towing your own? Just a suggestion.

Northstar

My old Silverado rusted out Fuel Lines, transmission lines and brake lines. The second time the brakes went to the floor on a crowded expressway was enough to convince me that it was time to let her go. The body was as close to perfect for a 19yo vehicle but every cheap steel line underneath needed replacing. No I replaced all of the brake lines before I traded it in which was not cheap because they all route to the ABS block behind the drivers side wheel under the frame. Good idea putting cheap steel where all the salt kicks up.