TR 109 Update

woodside

A group of friends will be riding out of Twin Lakes next week and I advised them to check on the current status of TR109. A month ago the reports here was that the trail had not been groomed thus was really bad which led to suggestions that the trail be closed. Any change?

old abe

A group of friends will be riding out of Twin Lakes next week and I advised them to check on the current status of TR109. A month ago the reports here was that the trail had not been groomed thus was really bad which led to suggestions that the trail be closed. Any change?

I would check on 109's condition at Krupps Mini Mart. But with the recent snows it SHOULD be in very good shape. There is no excuse, none, for Baraga not to be grooming 109 north of Alston on a regular basis now!

favoritos

Rode it last week. I have seen past reports about the questionable conditions, so I was reluctant to try. It was really good. I was impressed.
It had been groomed quite recently before the ride. Guessing less than five sleds had rode since the groom. There was plenty of snowcover, so that was not an issue. I would recommend trying from the north end and see how it looks. It wouldn't take many miles to verify the current condition.
Interesting note about the ride. Sitting at the intersection of 109/12 just enjoying the day watching traffic. A group of sleds came by and asked if we had been on the north 109 section. Told the riders we had just rode that section and it was good. They still had a little debate about whether it was worth the risk. The reputation of that section is hard to overcome.

BTW, the south end was in excellent condition. It was already good when we met a groomer on that section.

sr22ger

There still was a 7-10 mile stretch of ungrounded trail on the north west side of Alston. Even past that the trail was not great to be honest. This was from Saturday afternoon.

Now from the 8/15 junction to Alston, it was in the best shape I have ever seen that trail in.

old abe

There still was a 7-10 mile stretch of ungrounded trail on the north west side of Alston. Even past that the trail was not great to be honest. This was from Saturday afternoon.

Now from the 8/15 junction to Alston, it was in the best shape I have ever seen that trail in.

Same old story as it seems. No excuse for this other than total lack of effort! No snow, and not frozen is not the case! Please call, and complain to the Baraga Visitors Bureau! Also call MSA, and the MI..