Trail 122/Dreamland Trails Update Anyone?

wiharley02

Up in the area next week Sunday-Wednesday 1/26-1/29. Would like to try the Dreamland Trails (Valley Sno Drifters club), have not been on them before and it's a way to avoid going up and back down 17.

As far as I can tell from the Valley Sno Drifters facebook page, 2 of the 3 club trails are open: Trail from Lake Linden (west end of 122) down to Dreamland Bar, and trail from Dreamland bar west to Dollar Bay (across a small tree-marked ice crossing on small arm of Portage lake).

I think the 3rd trail from Dreamland Bar up to the central section of 122 is not open due to some landowner permission/bridge/easement issues.

I understand the trails are local club not funded by state, that they groom with a UTV and narrow drag, so I get that they might not be hard flat and wide, but with low traffic during the week seems like a very viable loop route.

Anyone been on those Dreamland trails in the last week or 2, how are they?
How's 122 from Gay to Lake Linden?

Thanks!

dusty17

I was up Jan 12-15th. We went from the bridge to Dreamland. After leaving dreamland continued to Gay. Map shows 2 trails leaving dreamland going North we took the left trail to 122 as the other was still not open Trail was groomed and good shape there were a couple of wet spots that were filled in and taken care of. The Dreamland Trails are worth the ride! They are more narrow and twisty so they shouldn't be too beat up we ran it on that Monday and it was great and nice to not have to take 17 up and back

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed!

Dreamland trails are a nice option to heading north... instead of the Hancock to Calumet main artery. There is a bit of road riding between Dollar Bay and where the trail crosses the waterway near Dreamland, but right now all back roads are snow covered and should stay that way for the next week to ten days at least. Be sure to stop in at the Dreamland Bar, authentic UP backwoods tavern. Been around forever. Super friendly folks and owners. Great food, lots to chose from as far as refreshments go. Just watch out for that John Dee guy, as he is known to frequent the establishment now that he lives down that way!

bonnevier

We will be there next Friday at say 2:00 or 3:00 pm...will we see the infamous JD?
If so, a soda or brewski are on us!!!

eyeman

We will be there next Friday at say 2:00 or 3:00 pm...will we see the infamous JD?
If so, a soda or brewski are on us!!!

We'll be there next Sat. running from the bridge to Dreamland to Gay Bar (lunch) and then 124 north on Saturday. If you have an opportunity to report (only if the trails are so bad that the better half would kick me :) ), that'd be great. Be safe and say hi to the man.

bonnevier

We'll be there next Sat. running from the bridge to Dreamland to Gay Bar (lunch) and then 124 north on Saturday. If you have an opportunity to report (only if the trails are so bad that the better half would kick me :) ), that'd be great. Be safe and say hi to the man.

You got it...provided I have cell or WiFi in Copper Harbor when we get to our end of day!

bonnevier

It’s a good run and worth it! Once trail 3 ends in dollar bay its 6.5 miles to Dreamland. There is one section of crappy whoops but it’s about a half mile long. Enough snow on edges of road where you’ll be fine for Saturday.

bonnevier

Be careful of what you wish for! :very_drunk:

I wished for it but apparently it didn’t come true. Was there at 4 ish and was hoping to by The Man himself a cold one but to no avail. Instead we put some cash in the Valley Sno Drifters box as we appreciate all their efforts and man...what a trail!

eyeman

It’s a good run and worth it! Once trail 3 ends in dollar bay its 6.5 miles to Dreamland. There is one section of crappy whoops but it’s about a half mile long. Enough snow on edges of road where you’ll be fine for Saturday.
Thanks, we did the Dollar Bay to Dreamland to Lake Linden(LL) to Gay to Phoenix. That crappy section was a tough way to start the day, but all turned out well. Got back down to LL thinking we could simple bust south on 3 to Dollar Bay - No go, the trail is closed. I guess my 2006 - 2007 trail map is dated. :). Had a great burger at the old White House (Glidas???) in Mohawk.