Trail 5 Big Bay / 14 Big Bay to Marquette / 8 back to 5

dfattack

Rode these trails today. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling 100% but pushed through it. Rode with my son and a friend. 5 Was good north to Big Bay although it was thinner than what I'm used to seeing especially in the corners. Groomer stopped and talked to us while we were taking a tailside break. Interesting to talk to him and he indicated he's been seeing more moose up that way lately. Had lunch in BB and then headed south down 14 towards Marquette where we picked up 8 west back to Koski corner. 14 south was a decent trail but again icy corners and thin at times. Open areas had a ton of snow so lots of different conditions today. My son thought it was great but since I wasn't feeling so great I may have been a little cranky :rolleyes:. At first 8 west was choppy but then crossed one road and it was smooth as a baby's behind all the way back to the trailer. Overall great day with my son and my friend. Waaay better than working (y)

Last edited:

Jaydoo

Rode these trails today. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling 100% but pushed through it. Rode with my son and a friend. 5 Was good north to Big Bay although it was thinner than what I'm used to seeing especially in the corners. Groomer stopped and talked to us while we were taking a tailside break. Interesting to talk to him and he indicated he's been seeing more moose up that way lately. Had lunch in BB and then headed south down 14 towards Marquette where we picked up 8 west back to Koski corner. 14 south was a decent trail but again icy corners and thin at times. Open areas had a ton of snow so lots of different conditions today. My son thought it was great but since I wasn't feeling so great I may have been a little cranky :rolleyes:. At first 8 west was choppy but then crossed one road and it was smooth as a baby's behind all the way back to the trailer. Overall great day with my son and my friend. Waaay better than working (y)
Did you leave from Spread Eagle or did you trailer to start?

dfattack

We trailered to koski. Trail 5 south from there is being groomed today. My friend grooms that trail so I knew it was due and we didn't want to add an additional 100 miles or so. We have done that in the past just didn't yesterday. Definitely doable though.

Jaydoo

We trailered to koski. Trail 5 south from there is being groomed today. My friend grooms that trail so I knew it was due and we didn't want to add an additional 100 miles or so. We have done that in the past just didn't yesterday. Definitely doable though.
Awesome, thanks for update.

mark_zaar

Was thinking about riding Monday Bruce Crossing to Big bay and stay overnight? Any issues on trails or fuel/food stops? Thanks.

dfattack

Was thinking about riding Monday Bruce Crossing to Big bay and stay overnight? Any issues on trails or fuel/food stops? Thanks.
No. you have sidnaw, L'Anse then Big Bay along the way. No problem getting to any of those locations on a tank of gas. If you take the southern route of 8 east to 5 north you will need to get gas before taking 5 north. There may be gas in Michigamme but I'm not sure. I always gas up at the gas station at the M95/41 junction (koski corner). It can be tricky to find this so plan it out first. Also I think you can stay at the Thunder bay inn in big bay but check in advance so there are no surprises. We ate there yesterday. Good food.

euphoric1

when we have taken the L'ance, Big Bay, Michigamme loop we have fueled in Michigamme, had a large gas/convenient stop.

pclark

No. you have sidnaw, L'Anse then Big Bay along the way. No problem getting to any of those locations on a tank of gas. If you take the southern route of 8 east to 5 north you will need to get gas before taking 5 north. There may be gas in Michigamme but I'm not sure. I always gas up at the gas station at the M95/41 junction (koski corner). It can be tricky to find this so plan it out first. Also I think you can stay at the Thunder bay inn in big bay but check in advance so there are no surprises. We ate there yesterday. Good food.
Wasn't there a bar called the Sawmill right on the main drag? I haven't been there for probably 10 years so I'm sure things have changed since then.

jdc6789

Wasn't there a bar called the Sawmill right on the main drag? I haven't been there for probably 10 years so I'm sure things have changed since then.
I believe you’re thinking of the Lumberjack in BB. It’s where the actual events took place that the movie “Anatomy of a Murderer” was about. The murder was 70 yrs ago by the way. Good atmosphere and good food, especially the pizza.

dfattack

What jdc said. I prefer the thunderbay Inn size, atmosphere and ease of parking your sled outside. Large front yard and very nice people working there. Not to say the Lumberjack isn't but since I'm pleased with the thunderbay I will continue to support them.

pclark

I believe you’re thinking of the Lumberjack in BB. It’s where the actual events took place that the movie “Anatomy of a Murderer” was about. The murder was 70 yrs ago by the way. Good atmosphere and good food, especially the pizza.
Thanks for the update, hopefully get back up there some day on a backpack trip from MW.

Longlegs

There is a gas station at the west end of Lake michigamme right on 41. There is a side trail off of 8 that goes to it.

bayfly

What jdc said. I prefer the thunderbay Inn size, atmosphere and ease of parking your sled outside. Large front yard and very nice people working there. Not to say the Lumberjack isn't but since I'm pleased with the thunderbay I will continue to support them.
We are riding up to Big Bay today and staying at the Thunder Bay Inn. We were there for lunch 2 weeks ago and the service and food was great. I just booked the room yesterday. Thought it was unlikely they would have vacancy but only one other room was booked for tonight. I've stayed there before and thought it was great. Apparently new owners bought it in 2021. I hope they do well, it's a unique place.

billjd

Was just up there. Saw 3 moose just South of Republic. 2 bulls and a cow right in front of me on the trail. 1st time in 25 years of riding up there. They are incredible animals! 700 miles TuesdayWednesday..,trails were awesome!

dfattack

Was just up there. Saw 3 moose just South of Republic. 2 bulls and a cow right in front of me on the trail. 1st time in 25 years of riding up there. They are incredible animals! 700 miles TuesdayWednesday..,trails were awesome!
How did they react? Run off, stare you down? Did you have to turn around ?