Trail conditions

jimkaz

Just wondering if the trails affected by the storm this summer in UP will be ready for snowmobiling. I am planning riding from X Mass to Watersmeet, to calumet, to Copper Harbor and back to XMass.thank you for info.

euphoric1

talked to someone at the snow show in Milwaukee and he actually had a map showing which trails would be closed and unless he is misinformed the only trails were the Freda loop and the trail that comes down by dollar bay/lake linden which I believe and someone correct me if I am wrong was trail 3, and he said they have been working feverishly on that trail and there was a slim chance it may be open by winter, but that was the only two closings and again that was talking to a rep at the keewenaw booth at snow show.
Just wondering if the trails affected by the storm this summer in UP will be ready for snowmobiling. I am planning riding from X Mass to Watersmeet, to calumet, to Copper Harbor and back to XMass.thank you for info.

jimkaz

talked to someone at the snow show in Milwaukee and he actually had a map showing which trails would be closed and unless he is misinformed the only trails were the Freda loop and the trail that comes down by dollar bay/lake linden which I believe and someone correct me if I am wrong was trail 3, and he said they have been working feverishly on that trail and there was a slim chance it may be open by winter, but that was the only two closings and again that was talking to a rep at the keewenaw booth at snow show.

Thank you. I can live with just that part of trail #3 being closed, never ride Freda loop.

Thank you. I can live with just that part of trail #3 being closed, never ride Freda loop.

Confirmed. I also spoke to them at the snow show. Trail 3 out of Houghton closed. Freda Loop is closed; which I'm sad about. That is always a nice morning ride, and I enjoyed looking at the Dam. Trail 17 will get beat fast if that's the only route in/out of Houghton. Hopefully they get trail 3 opened back up. Sounds like they have spent some big $ on getting it fixed back up.

ski_dog

I talked to the same guy at the snow show and he told me the same thing. I had a great talk with him, very nice guy.

I'm also sad to hear that the Freeda Loop will not be open this season, it's one of my favorite trails.

rich_jelinek

Confirmed. I also spoke to them at the snow show. Trail 3 out of Houghton closed. Freda Loop is closed; which I'm sad about. That is always a nice morning ride, and I enjoyed looking at the Dam. Trail 17 will get beat fast if that's the only route in/out of Houghton. Hopefully they get trail 3 opened back up. Sounds like they have spent some big $ on getting it fixed back up.

Just to clarify - you are saying that as of now trail 3 heading north on the north side of the lift bridge will be closed ? That's a bummer since 17 is a much straighter / flatter / freeway ( boring ) trail, and like you said 17 will have to handle double the traffic load.
And the fact that the Frieda loop will be closed is another big bummer, we love that trail.

But I guess since we can't control Mother Nature we'll just have to deal with it.

tomx

I agree with you Rich. 3 is a much more fun way to get to the other side of Calumet. Feel bad for Lake Linden businesses. 120 &121 are a big loss as well.

rich_jelinek

Thanks for the map.

Let's hope that's about it, hopefully nothing significant will be closed due to logging cause if that happens might not be too much left ............….

euphoric1

I know they said there was no chance that the Freda loop would be open this year, but the gentleman I had spoke to at snow show said that there was potentially a chance that trail 3 by lake linden would be open by the time season rolled around. On the map 440_chazz posted it still showed closed, is it safe to assume that it will not be open this year?

slowsi00

I know they said there was no chance that the Freda loop would be open this year, but the gentleman I had spoke to at snow show said that there was potentially a chance that trail 3 by lake linden would be open by the time season rolled around. On the map 440_chazz posted it still showed closed, is it safe to assume that it will not be open this year?

what happened to freeda loop?

rich_jelinek

Any updates as far as trail 3 from the lift bridge to calumet ? Still partly closed ?

How about the trail conditions in the keewee in general ?

Mitchpro1125

Total bummer on the closures... Thanks for the updates though I was trying to hunt them down. On the other hand, If i remember correctly there was a trail or two last season that was closed. Are there any other trails that WERE closed last year but are now open this year that I'm overlooking on the updated map posted above?

rich_jelinek

Wife and I are planning to be up in calumet Xmas week for our annual first trip of the season, so hopefully things are in pretty decent shape by then.
Anyone local or that's up there that can keep us posted on conditions, it is much appreciated.

eao

Any updates as far as trail 3 from the lift bridge to calumet ? Still partly closed ?

How about the trail conditions in the keewee in general ?

#3; closed from 1st st in Dollar Bay to North of Lake Linden @ Normands RD; closed indefinitely, barricades are up blocking access. IMPASSABLE due to major washouts!

Last edited: