Trail Report from Mass to Copper?

Skidoome2

Looking for some updates if you can share on trail conditions from Mass to Copper. Planning a 9 hour trip from Iowa this coming weekend for a last ride. Thanks in advance!

billjd

I just returned. Twin Lakes North is good. North of Calumet was awesome. Trail 124,130 and 135 were excellent. Had lunch at the Mariner on Saturday and its thin in town. As long as it stays below freezing you should be good to go. Lots of base remains.

Bill D

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rode trail 120 Friday morning, Freda loop. Not groomed, and lots of downed trees on it. Plenty of snow though.

Thanks for the updates, three of us are heading up Wednesday- Saturday for the last ride of the year. Staying in Calumet. How is it riding thru Houghton and Hancock? Usually stay at the Ramada but thought it would be easier getting to the trails on top of the hill.

legend02

Thanks for the report, were thinking of coming up Thursday - Sunday , hoping for that big storm that John mentioned could happen.

Skidoome2

Thanks Bill D

Appreciate the trailnews... I also talked to Vansville Bar today and they said groomers are running....

I just returned. Twin Lakes North is good. North of Calumet was awesome. Trail 124,130 and 135 were excellent. Had lunch at the Mariner on Saturday and its thin in town. As long as it stays below freezing you should be good to go. Lots of base remains.

Bill D

Skidoome2

Firefighter1 if you could give a report on what your seeing when you hit the trails would be great. My wife and I are staying in Calumet too arriving Friday to ride Sat and Sun. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the updates, three of us are heading up Wednesday- Saturday for the last ride of the year. Staying in Calumet. How is it riding thru Houghton and Hancock? Usually stay at the Ramada but thought it would be easier getting to the trails on top of the hill.

americinncal

I was in Hancock yesterday, not on the trails but the one that runs along 41 was snowcovered except for one small patch, road crossings are bare, it has been sunny here all day but still cool, the snow doesn't look like its going anywhere, we are suppose to get a couple inches tomorrow.

ragsled

I was up last weekend and rode from Calumet down to Greenland / Mass City Friday, the trail had a little water and washout from across the park in Houghton to the turn off to the snowmobile club, from there to Toivola was good, then from Toivola to about 2 miles north of the bridges was very good, then it got a little iffy and the groomer had not been south of the bridges. Saturday I rode all over from Calumet north, 3 and 17 were good with a few bare spots around Ahmeek to Phoenix. From 3 to Lac La Belle (132) was good but towards Lac La Belle had some deep holes across the trail, then from there north to 134 was rough. Looped back to 3 and up to Brockway was good. Getting in to Copper Harbor looked brutal from the end of Brockway Mountain drive so I went back down 3 and then over to Eagle Harbor for lunch and then went to Gay on 124 to 122, this was real good, came back same way as people said 122 to Lake Linden was bad. Honestly a few bright sunny days can change things fast even when temps are low this time of year especially in the open areas so some of these areas may be real tough to get through now.

Skidoome2

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the details. Hoping that the sun stays low and more snow comes. Looks like there will be some to ride on. I am a ditchbanger from IA so some bare spots are typical trails for me.

I was up last weekend and rode from Calumet down to Greenland / Mass City Friday, the trail had a little water and washout from across the park in Houghton to the turn off to the snowmobile club, from there to Toivola was good, then from Toivola to about 2 miles north of the bridges was very good, then it got a little iffy and the groomer had not been south of the bridges. Saturday I rode all over from Calumet north, 3 and 17 were good with a few bare spots around Ahmeek to Phoenix. From 3 to Lac La Belle (132) was good but towards Lac La Belle had some deep holes across the trail, then from there north to 134 was rough. Looped back to 3 and up to Brockway was good. Getting in to Copper Harbor looked brutal from the end of Brockway Mountain drive so I went back down 3 and then over to Eagle Harbor for lunch and then went to Gay on 124 to 122, this was real good, came back same way as people said 122 to Lake Linden was bad. Honestly a few bright sunny days can change things fast even when temps are low this time of year especially in the open areas so some of these areas may be real tough to get through now.

Are there rocks coming through on the grade from Calumet north? I have been up both early and late season nd seen the trail very rocky. How about the trail out to the tip of lake superior? Anyone go out there and if so is there snow?

americinncal

Are there rocks coming through on the grade from Calumet north? I have been up both early and late season nd seen the trail very rocky. How about the trail out to the tip of lake superior? Anyone go out there and if so is there snow?

We were told this weekend that you can not get to high rock due to water across the trail. We also just received the trail report for today and the groomers will not be going out until we get more snow.