Trail to Gay & Lac La Belle

thobkirk

Does anyone know if this trail will be open this year? Been closed for logging the last few years. Also is the Gay Bar still open? I thought I read it my be closing somewhere.

Gatorgator7676

Was just hanging with Bruce last night. Took the 133 down to Lac LaBelle off of trail 3. I was only the second guy on the trail it was beautiful! just fluffy snow with no groomer. Then took the 133 over to gay about halfway through had to hit the road due to logging. It is awesome up here and all I can tell you is Bruce at the gay bar will be happy to see you. Also we took the trail 122 back to Lake Linden but about halfway through we hit the road due to high water.

garyl62

133 between Gay and LLB has been open the past years, it was 122 from Lake Linden to Gay that has been shut down. Word at the trail brushing weekend this fall was 122 would be open this year so we spent a lot of time on that trail getting it ready. It's always wet so I'm not surprise Gatorgator7676 jumped off. Once things firm up it should be fun. John did say in this weeks Journal trail 124 between Gay and Phoenix has some logging now, but they hope to finish up by the first of the year. If that happens it will be great to have that area back completely open this season.

garyl62

Just got an update from the trail boss of KTS and 133 is being closed between Gay and LLB for logging. They also closed 124 from Gay toward Phoenix. They hope to have both open again around Christmas, but for the next couple weeks it doesn't sound like you can go north from Gay. Sounds like there will also be a little re-route on 133 so that may take a bit longer.

eagle1

Business on that side must really love always having closed trails. I get the need to log but you would think there's a way keep trails open too.

mostmajor

Any chance anyone has a more recent update on the closures on this part of the trail system? Particularly wondering about Trail 132 that connects Trail 3 to Lac La Belle. If anyone has an update I would appreciate it! Thanks.

bonnevier

Any chance anyone has a more recent update on the closures on this part of the trail system? Particularly wondering about Trail 132 that connects Trail 3 to Lac La Belle. If anyone has an update I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Would be great to hear straight from John Dee and the club up there on this one. Plenty of speculation and thoughts floating around but what is the real scoop?

clark_w

I thought there would be some feedback on this by now?? Oh well, We are leaving this afternoon and will find out for ourselves here tomorrow or Saturday?
I will try to remember to update after seeing what the status is.

CW

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So here is the latest. You can ride 132. It is not yet groomed and we are hoping to get to it ASAP, but due to having 2 groomers down, we do not want to have the entire system suffer because of trying to have all trails groomed. So feel free to take 132, but be advised, it has not yet been groomed yet and there could be obstacles on the trail so PLEASE RIDE 132 WITH EXTRA CAUTION! I believe there is a stretch where the snow is a bit thinner because of the fact that they were plowing a section up until last week.

We will have all three trails, 132, 124 and 133 open and groomed as soon as we can!

Thanks for being so patient!

-John
President, Keweenaw Snowmobile Club

clark_w

Thanks John, I think.... hate to hear that you have 2 groomers down, especially this time of year.

It is what it is...

CW

rtrev

So it looks like trail 122 is open from Lake Linden to Gay but you would have to go back to lake Linden to go north. Has anyone rode 122 this year to confirm?

Thanks

1renagade

I rode trail 122 on Friday 12/22/2017. The trail was in bad shape and not marked very well. About 15 miles in you will come across a Polaris smashed into the trees, parts were all over and a lot off plowed roads.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so 132 has been groomed, so getting to Lac La Belle is a go on groomed trails in both ways.

124 and 133 are still closed for the time being, but will be open soon. I believe that one of the broken groomers will be up soon, which will give us 4 out of 5 in our system running. The groomers are being shuffled around to make sure all is being done that can be done, rather than just sticking to some kind of regular operation.

I just talked to some friends that are riding and they said the trails they were on were great, but it is cold! I also overheard another conversation between two snowmobilers where the one was complaining about trails not being groomed. I was not able to catch that person in time to find out which trail they were talking about. It could have been one that is not even open yet. From what I have seen from the roads, the main trail from Houghton/Hancock to Copper Harbor looked to be in good shape. The Eagles Loop was in good shape and since 132 was just groomed, it will be good for now. Hopefully we can keep up with traffic and the bumps it generates. I did not see anyone with frowns on their faces!

-John

dekx

I heard 124 is open per Vansville Bar posting. How are the trails holding up? Heading up tomorrow with my brother for his first ride ever

rich_jelinek

We were up there the week of xmas, and just about everything we rode was really good, the only bummer was 124 and 133 were closed which cuts off some nice loops to stay off of the main drag ( 3 ), and I'm sure they've got ALOT more snow since then.

garyl62

Trail Boss said 124 is open, they are going to try to get some groomers to 133, but in this little warm up they need to maintain the trails that are open first. He didn't give a time frame, but I know they want to get out there and work on getting it open.