Trailer bearings

art1

I have a 2 place enclosed Triton trailer that has bearing buddies on the hubs. I always grease these a few times through the season to flush out the old grease with fresh. Is it still necessary to pull the hub and repack the inner bearing ?

I would say it depends on how old the trailer is and how many miles are on it.
Think of the wheel bearings on old rear wheel drive cars they are good for thousands and thousands of miles. If you figure that a trial tire is half the size of a car tire I would say rebuild them every 7-10 thousand miles as long as the seals are good other wise every 3-5 years.

legend02

I have a 2 place enclosed Triton trailer that has bearing buddies on the hubs. I always grease these a few times through the season to flush out the old grease with fresh. Is it still necessary to pull the hub and repack the inner bearing ?

Do you have buddie bearings or is the grease nipple part of the shaft and the grease comes out by the back bearing and pushes forward. That's the way my 96 Trition trailer is and my 02 Lite Rider. I still take the bearings off every three years and check them out.

scott_l

Personally I pull the hubs off every fall and clean everything real good and repack the bearings. Then every other year I replace the bearings with good ones (not the ones from Menards or fleet farm that the sell for $9.50 a set). Ya I might be doing more then I need to but I have never been on the side of the road at 10:00 p.m. when it's -10 with a bearing problem. It's not a hard job if you’re at home with all the correct tools and parts (and it's a bounce if you’re warm and have a beer on the work bench).

ezra

I know it is not the right way but I also grease every trip never change. but I also have a complete bearing and hub with my spare tire with tools to change.I also never keep a trailer more than 6 yrs {i hate trailer wiring}

Last edited:

art1

Thanks for the replies guys. The trailer is a 2008 and it gets around 2000 miles a year on it. I have the hub set-up with the grease nipple that is part of the shaft and pumps out the old grease. I always jack up the axle in the summer and check the wheels side to side for any play in the bearings and they have been perfect so far. I think this summer I will take them apart though.

Last edited:

yamadooed

Pull the hubs off every spring and to clean and check the bearings and tires and replace the rear seals... Grease hubs after every trip...

bouncer

Thanks for the replies guys. The trailer is a 2008 and it gets around 2000 miles a year on it. I have the hub set-up with the grease nipple that is part of the shaft and pumps out the old grease. I always jack up the axle in the summer and check the wheels side to side for any play in the bearings and they have been perfect so far. I think this summer I will take them apart though.

I have a trailer with the bearing buddy's. I grease them regularly and also check for bearing play as you do. Same bearings for 8 years now without a problem. When you regularly check the wheel bearings for play, you will know right away if you have a problem starting by an increase of play. Most problems occur when the bearings are neglected and run for years without greasing or inspecting them when you can't grease them externally. Good luck.

polarfreek

I have an '01 Triton that has the same setup as legend. These grease from the rear and not the front like aftermarket bearing buddies.

You should disassemble & repack if the grease purges out the front (Bearing Buddies), but it depends on the hub. The grease routing needs to purge the old stuff completely out. Bearing Buddies don't do this. Dexter EZ-Lube hubs do; the old grease purges out thru a hole in the center of the spindle. I have a '93 Floe Pro 100+ with Dexter EZ Lube axle. I shoot 'em with the grease gun in the spring, plus before, in middle, & at return of a trip to the Rockies. I check bearing preload & spin the wheels by hand each spring. Never had 'em apart. No problems.
BTW, the wiring & lights have never been touched. I grease the pins & socket on a dummy connector & stick it in the trailer connector when parked to preserve the contacts. I built a wooden hood that covers the hitch end when parked. Hose it down after every use to get the salt off. Spray WD-40 on the coupler & lug nuts. My Floe gets good care, but has exceeded my expectations. I am lucky.