trailer decking

George

Just bought a trailer off my buddy and is in need of new decking, what is the best wood to use and what should it be treated with? Thanks

T

Team Elkhorn

Marine plywood, like on a pontoon deck. But, it is pricey.

In the 80s I bought an inexpensive steel trailer that had marine plywood on it. The deck out lasted the trailer. Even withstood carbide abuse well. My newer aluminum trailers all had treated plywood that didn't hold up as well.

booondocker

I think you will have good luck with Wolmanized products. If the trailer is covered, then buy the cheapest stuff you can find and paint it on the exposed side. OSB has been down on my covered trailer for several years and the carbides don't cut or harm it. It gets really hard when it is cold. Seems I paid $6 a sheet for it and it is holding up fine.

George

It is a alum. floe snowmobile trailer. not covered, and will be stored exposed to the full sun and elements

Go Fast or Go Home

Advantech is the flooring a lot of high end trailers are putting in now. I'm not familiar with it but a google search should have information about it. From what little I've read about Advantech, it is supposed to be very good. I would also guess very expensive. Good luck with your project.

98panther

You will be better off with a treated plywood not marine plywood. It will last longer and it's much cheaper for that use.
Too many people misunderstand what marine plywood is for. For years I sold at a lumberyard that used to handle marine plywood and all other types.

Yes it could work and last, but it's not what it is for - it would be wasting $$$

Only issue is the treatment these days react with some metals, so ask about that when buying treated.
I got out of that business before the new stuff came around.

Last edited:

yoopermike

If you have time, and don't mind a little mess, buy some regular plywood and coat it with used engine oil. An old timer told me about this. I thought he was nuts, but he showed me a trailer with a 10+ year old deck, and the wood looked solid to me.

as long as you are spending, drop another $100 bucks and get some ski guides and track mats to protect your new deck from carbides and studs if you have them. Well worth it.

mezz

It is a alum. floe snowmobile trailer. not covered, and will be stored exposed to the full sun and elements

Marine plywood is ideal for an enclosed trailer as it will last decades. In your case, I would use treated plywood on an open place trailer, especially with it being left (stored) outdoors. When the water protection begins to wane, treat it with Thompsons water seal. Keep the bed tilted when not in use, both summer & winter, it will last a long time.-Mezz

MZEMS2

I used 3/4" treated plywood on a trailer once, then each summer I'd give it a good coat of water sealant like Mezz said. Several kinds of that stuff out there too. Anything you can do to prevent "ponding" of water will help it last a long time.

whitedust

Floe trailers are good trailers so install treated plywood seal it with a wood sealer plus multiglides & mats & you will be set for a long long time. Me I go enclosed with rear drop ramp so I can store sleds out of elements year around.:)

George

Been doing a little research and seems that pressure treated plywood may not be the best option. The new chemicals they use in P/T plywood will corrode the alum. would the alum. not corrode if I coat all the cross members with rhino liner? also what about alum. rivets? I want a good deck but don't really want to spend 300 to get it.

garyl62

If you put track mats and ski glides on it you would be fine since no part of your sled will be in contact with the wood decking. Pressure treated plywood with a annual coat of sealer with mats and glides will last you longer than you'll keep the trailer.

mezz

Been doing a little research and seems that pressure treated plywood may not be the best option. The new chemicals they use in P/T plywood will corrode the alum. would the alum. not corrode if I coat all the cross members with rhino liner? also what about alum. rivets? I want a good deck but don't really want to spend 300 to get it.

I'm not sure about the corrosive effect on aluminum as the open trailer I have is a steel frame. I am sure that if you did coat the frame with either rhino or a spray undercoating that would adequately protect the frame from the feared affect. Another consideration would be to get 3/4" exterior plywood & water seal it yourself top & bottom.-Mezz

George

If you put track mats and ski glides on it you would be fine since no part of your sled will be in contact with the wood decking. Pressure treated plywood with a annual coat of sealer with mats and glides will last you longer than you'll keep the trailer.

not worried about my sled my concern was the trailer. I am not putting ski guides and mats on trailer as I use it for many other things and don't want those on there. .
Mezz-- 3/4" won't fit under the lip that is used to retain the outside edge of the wood.

mezz

not worried about my sled my concern was the trailer. I am not putting ski guides and mats on trailer as I use it for many other things and don't want those on there. .
Mezz-- 3/4" won't fit under the lip that is used to retain the outside edge of the wood.

Is it lipped in the front & rear? Is is possible to either route or cut a rabbit joint into the ends of the decking & slip it into the lip? Possibly go with the next size plywood, 5/8"?-Mezz