trailer help...

ggsled

Just sold my 2012 7x23 R&R with 6" extra height. Very nice trailer but I was not happy how it towed, Empty or loaded. I felt the axles were too far forward and I always got a tail wagging the dog effect.. The measurement from the rear of the trailer to the center of the rear axle is 84". I am currently looking at the Stealth Predater 7x23 with 6" of extra height. My dillema is that the axle placement is the same as the R&R. I know they all build hundreds of these trailers but I do not want to make a $8,000 mistake again.
I am looking for any help. Thanks....

samc

We have a 2012 Stealth 7x23 with no issues. Pulls great loaded or empty, we usually have 4 sleds in it and still pulls great.

Hoosier

Guys I ride with just bought a legend 7 x 23. Placement of axles farther back was one of legend's sales pitches. I couldn't tell you if it makes a difference cause I haven't towed others to compare. Just took 1st trip with legend and I didn't drive at all

garyl62

My 7X22 NEO pulls great empty or loaded with 1, 2 or 3 sleds and gear. Most of the time you can hardly tell it's back there. I'm pulling it with a 2010 Silverado 1/2 ton and never feel like it's pushing me around. I have the standard height trailer, and the rear axle is 85" from the back of the trailer.

blutooth

I have towed a friend's 2012 RnR 7x23 (18' box) out to Wyoming 3 times now with no wagging at all. Tow vehicle is a 2005 Ram 3500. I put a little air in the air bags to get it to sit level even so I am guessing with your vehicle any more tongue weight and you are going to have real issues steering.

I think your issue is more with the weight/axle location of your tow vehicle and the extra 6" height might be catching more wind.

soxfan3

I don't have one but, would loading sleds in backwards (load from front) work better for weigh distribution? It obviously would change tongue weight & balance.

raceinsnow

One thing I think makes a big difference is a torsion axles instead of spring axles. The spring axles will travel a lot more side to side and up and down.

raco_guy

Ok, I'm not a trailer/truck expert by any means, but I just want to post based on my experience.

I have a NEO 29ft, standard height (6 ft I think), aluminum inline. I don't have the measurements from axle to rear (it's in storage), but the bottom line is it's a long trailer.

I have towed this trailer with 2 different vehicles, towed empty and towed with 5 sleds in it with gear. Both vehicles have been standard 1/2 ton trucks (Avalanche and Ram 1500).

I have towed in extreme cross winds.

My findings have been it can make a significant difference how you load the trailer. If you have too much weight forward or rearward, the trailer has a tendency to sway a little. You want a slight majority of your weight at a point just forward of the axles of the trailer.

Outside of that, even with heavy crosswinds, and 1/2 ton trucks, I don't normally experience excessive swaying with that large of a trailer, so if you are experiencing such I would think it is either the trailer design or how you load it and less with the vehicle you are towing with. Your truck is more than enough to pull and aluminum inline snowmobile trailer. Good luck.

trailerman

Most aluminum manufactures do put their axles farther ahead because they are worried that the span from the axle of the truck, (on the ground) to the next point on the ground, (trailer wheels) is to far to span. Many brands have had front door problems when loaded the door does not open, to much flex. Legend does put their axle back farther than most and therefore have more tongue weight, but they never sway. You can get a little more tongue wt but that is not a bad thing. Would rather have to much tongue weight than not enough. Go to any dealer and ask for the test pull and they should let you do that and then you will know. Good luck.

ezra

what load range tires do u have. I know when pulling with the stock junk ford goodyear my tires were squatting bad and truck was squirmy big time. slapped some load range d completely diff experience towed like a dream

oldguy

I had a 2010 ½ ton Chev with a 6.2. The truck had more power then you would ever need, not the greatest gas mileage. We towed a 24 ft by 8 ft high foot trailer and had the same issues you have had. It was really bad in a side wind. We tied sway bars and it helped a little. Sold the truck and purchased a Duramax and the problem was instantly solved pulling the same trailer without sway bars. The ½ ton did a fantastic job hauling a 7,500 pound skid steer on a open trailer. That combination was a lot heaver than the enclosed trailer, but didn’t catch the wind. I agree with Ezra, try new tires before you do anything we never did that, just used the stock tires the truck came with.

harski

I had near the same dilemma as yourself with very similar equipment (RnR 7.520ps 6'6' height towed with '04 5.3 1/2 ton Suburban). In quick summary I added a higher rated sidewall tire (Revo II passenger rated) in addition to Airlift brand air bags. This made a tremendous difference in towing including passing semi's which really had the trailer swaying. I ditto all the all other suggestions and statements above. In the future I will probably go to an LT tire next as the Revos are wearing down fast probably due to weight/sway etc. Plus they are sandblasting the heck out of my trailer with there cross tread pattern. I've done a ton of other stuff to the trailer too but there is not enough ink in my laptop to cover it all. PM if you'd like with your number and I can fill you in on the rest in addition to other suggestions.

Good luck,

Harski

poprivetus

I'm with Ezra on this one. After I changed tires on a Yukon XL that I used for towing a camper it started swaying significantly at highway speeds. After changing tongue weights, sway bar tension, hitch height, etc I found out the new tires had softer sidewalls for better ride. Put the old style back on and no more swaying.