Trailer Plywood

doofan1

I need to replace the deck on my 4 place Aluma Loadmaster trailer. I thought I would get one more year but stepped through the deck. Any way I've been told that the pressure treated wood that the lumber yards carry is corossive on the aluminum. I thought about painting the treated plywood then putting on the trailer. Not sure what will hold up.

Looking for input.

Thanks

sjshaner

I would go with marine grade plywood. It is designed for outdoor wet locations. It is made with waterproof glue for the laminations. My father-in-law had a trailer floor replaced with the treated plywood and it buckled really bad once it got hot out.

robo

pressure treated plywood use waterproof glue too .marine grade plywood is made from fir and do not have void in it like most plywood have that what make it stonger.what i do is take foundation coating and thin it down with minural spirts and put it the bottom of the ply wood and waterseal the top .did the trailer 10yr ago and still look good and it is outside all the time.

eao

If you can afford it, the best plywood is the type they make highway signs out of, marine grade. It usually comes coated in a black finish.

Last edited:

doofan1

Thanks for the input. I called several lumber yards none of them carry marine plywood they can all special order it though. 5/8" was about $70.00 a sheet. I need 6 sheets.

Green Treated is about $30.00 a sheet. My concern with using green treated is the corrosion problem with the aluminum. Not sure how big a deal that really is though.

mschu2008doo

Buy the Marine grade plywood. I have a 3 place and decided to do it 2 years ago with treated wood as it was cheaper and now I am having to redo it. It has buckled so bad that some of the screws have broke that are holding it down. The Marine grade that came on the trailer new lasted for 11 years, and I never did treat it. It is worth the extra money.

doomsman

Trailer plywood is like carpeting to me.
Buy good stuff and you live with it longer than
you like, because you want to get your moneys worth.
Call empire or buy exterior grade ac plywood and seal
the edges and underside.

doofan1

I went with treated plywood and painted both sides of it with an oil based enamel paint. We'll see how long it holds up.

Thanks for all the response