Trailer Registration

eao

A title and registration is not required for trailers operated at or less than 3,000 pounds gross weight unless used for hire or rental, over 3000, YES. Title and registration is encouraged for these vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin, as other states' registration laws may be different.

If you want to register a trailer you need the original (no copy) MSO or a title. My brother (Wis) just went through this. He bought my trailer in Michigan and then sold it later. For the new owner to get a title (he wanted that) they needed one from Michigan. Michigan did not issue me one for under 2,500 GVW. But I could get one (for a fee of course) ONLY because I was the owner of record. My brother could not get one from Michigan and Wis would not honor the Bill of Sale for that purpose. Copies are worthless, must be an original document issued by a state. Luckily in Michigan you can now get a title instantly at any DMV office, for an additional fee.

MSO - Manufacturers Statement of Origin. Dealers are required to surrender to DMV to title or register a vehicle.

Last edited:

snobuilder

A title and registration is not required for trailers operated at or less than 3,000 pounds gross weight unless used for hire or rental, over 3000, YES. Title and registration is encouraged for these vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin, as other states' registration laws may be different.

If you want to register a trailer you need the original (no copy) MSO or a title. My brother just went through this. He bought my trailer in Michigan and then sold it later. For the new owner to get a title (he wanted that) they needed one from Michigan. Michigan did not issue me one for under 2,500 GVW. But I could get one (for a fee of course) ONLY because I was the owner of record. My brother could not get one from Michigan and Wis would not honor the Bill of Sale for that purpose. Copies are worthless, must be an original document issued by a state. Luckily in Michigan you can now get a title instantly at any DMV office, for an additional fee.

MSO - Manufacturers Statement of Origin. Dealers are required to surrender to DMV to title or register a vehicle.

I'm going through this with a skid steer trailer. Thought a BOS was ok to use.
Now they want a title bond for 5 years an pics of the trailer from 4 sides.
Jezus....I basically rebuilt the entire trailer.

renegade

I'm going through this with a skid steer trailer. Thought a BOS was ok to use.
Now they want a title bond for 5 years an pics of the trailer from 4 sides.
Jezus....I basically rebuilt the entire trailer.
Hopfully they will not require an inspector from the dot to inspect it too. I've seen that happen.

sjb

FWIW - I have two trailers that can carry over 3000#'s in WI and neither have a license, but both have titles. Never had an issue, and I don't know anyone who has.

srt20

FWIW - I have two trailers that can carry over 3000#'s in WI and neither have a license, but both have titles. Never had an issue, and I don't know anyone who has.

If the GVWR from the manufacturer is under 3k you dont need registration. Even if the trailer has 3500lbs axle its all about the GVWR. Manufacturers all use 3500 axles for the lightest axle. So just because your trailer is actually capable of hauling more than 3K GCW, its what the manufacturer rates it at. Most trailers with 3500lbs axle are rated at 2990lbs just for this reason.

I have been given a warning for an unregistered trailer with a GVWR over 3k. State trooper are more likely to notice than city cops.

ddhanna

From WIDOT, "If the gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the trailer is under 3,000-pounds, then licensing the trailer is optional." Based on this, my unlicensed Triton open 4 place (1100lbs)is legal loaded with 3 sleds, illegal with 4.

From WIDOT, "If the gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the trailer is under 3,000-pounds, then licensing the trailer is optional." Based on this, my unlicensed Triton open 4 place (1100lbs)is legal loaded with 3 sleds, illegal with 4.

Pretty sure GVW refers to the fully loaded weight capacity.

sjb

If the GVWR from the manufacturer is under 3k you dont need registration. Even if the trailer has 3500lbs axle its all about the GVWR. Manufacturers all use 3500 axles for the lightest axle. So just because your trailer is actually capable of hauling more than 3K GCW, its what the manufacturer rates it at. Most trailers with 3500lbs axle are rated at 2990lbs just for this reason.

I have been given a warning for an unregistered trailer with a GVWR over 3k. State trooper are more likely to notice than city cops.

Both of my trailers I am referring to have dual axles, with each axle at 3500# capacity. I would need to look at the plate to see what the GVWR is at, but it must be over 3000#'s. This is one of those situations where I will continue to run without a plate unless I am told differently by enforcement. I have quite a network of fishing buddies who run the same size boat (21') as me and to my knowledge, none of them have a plate, and never an issue.

jakester

I know in wisconsin you must have a spare,or you can be ticketed. You may also need mirror extentions for your vehicle for enclosed trailers. Illinois, you need a plate but no spare. Which law makes more sense. Good old IL!

sjb

I know in wisconsin you must have a spare,or you can be ticketed. You may also need mirror extentions for your vehicle for enclosed trailers. Illinois, you need a plate but no spare. Which law makes more sense. Good old IL!

Never heard of the spare law - that is new to me. However, when I do long trips, for example from NE WI to Lake Erie to fish with my boat, I will carry two spares. Trailer tires take a beating and blowing one is just short of common. So rather than have to scrounge around for a spare tire if I blow one, I have another one ready to go.

I will trust you Jake you know what you are talking about, that this is law. However, there are a good number of vehicles today that don't even come with a spare. Talk about not making sense!