trailer shopping

tourguide

I'm in the market for a 4-place enclosed trailer and like the covered floe model, anyone out there have any good/bad feedback on these?

lvr1000

Go inline! Better mileage, bigger tires & brakes, lower center of gravity, easier load/unload, can see behind.........

rakins800

Floe is a quality unit.........but I purchased a inline unit. much better all the way around.
LVR1000 is right on the money. hard to go wrong with the top 3 or 4 manufacturers.

lookin4snow

My Experience

I have a Floe 4-place Protektor trailer and I think it is a quality unit. I have the 22 foot model, which is really a 20 foot box with a 2 foot v-nose platform. I have towed this trailer across the country numerous times, and you hardly know it is there. Cross winds do not affect them all that much because they are only 54 inches high from deck to top. They are also lightweight coming in somewhere in the 1,800 pound range. After having mine for 3 years, I’d offer the following analysis:

Advantages

Low profile for easy towing
Lightweight
Good fuel mileage while towing
Quality trailer
Works great for 4 shorties or crossovers

Disadvantages

You’re gonna bonk your head loading and unloading due to low height
The front door freezes shut due to slush/snow buildup on front v-nose. Sometimes you cannot get it open and then need to crawl around to loosen the tie-down bars.
On a sunny day, the inside of the trailer will get warm and melt any ice and it will flow into the channel for the tie down bars and freeze late in the day. You better have a screwdriver or torch handy or you won’t be able to install your tie-down bars.
Expensive. You can get an in-line for equal or less money.

I now tow mountain sleds most of the time and I can only get three in the trailer. I have had the debate of whether to keep it or sell but cannot decide what I would buy. The next larger Floe to handle mountain sleds is a tri-axle and 26 feet. An in-line to fit 4 mountain sleds will push 30 feet, which makes for a long rig when towing, and more difficult to turn around in some parking areas I end up at. I have a friend with an in-line and I have borrowed it and it tows nice, but it is looooong. So, decisions, decisions. But, there is my $0.02.

bearrassler

A friend that I ride with has the 22' Floe, his is about 11 years old and has worked great. The things that were just above listed are accurate. It tows easy but you do hit your head at times. It would be nice to be able to stand up but it is pulled with a 1/2 ton pickup and unless it is real windy it is not a problem.

tourguide

Sounds like you guys have done your homework, l sure dont wanna get hit in the head everytime I gotta load a trailer, sounds like a new R&R 7.5 wide inline may be the way to go, thanks for the advice.