Trailer Tires PSI

ridindirty800

Just replaced my Triton trailer tires and made a mistake and ordered LOAD E (90 PSI) rather then LOAD C (50 PSI)that was on it. Wondering if I can lower PSI for a smoother ride. I only ask as I have heard guy do this, but not sure. Maybe I wont even notice the difference but feel it will be rougher.

dfattack

I'm not a mechanic but what I have learned yes you can. The sidewalls are still stiffer but reducing PSI will help. Just make sure the tread is flat against the pavement so you get even wear (not wearing more in the center or outer edges from under inflation). Mechanics, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tuck

what size tires? I always run all my trailers at 5 under max PSI pressure. some of the smaller tires also have a max speed listed, usually increases with load capacity rating. Found that out on my Triton 2 place tilt and went with the E rating on it. Yes you can run less than max PSI in any tire.

ridindirty800

what size tires? I always run all my trailers at 5 under max PSI pressure. some of the smaller tires also have a max speed listed, usually increases with load capacity rating. Found that out on my Triton 2 place tilt and went with the E rating on it. Yes you can run less than max PSI in any tire.
20.5x8x10 tire

dfattack

My tires are 80psi max and I run them at 70 psi unless I have three sleds loaded, which is I almost never do.

mrbb

I would run them at 70, allowing room for air to go up as heat builds in them, the ride difference will not be notifiable IMO< I have gone from load c to E on all my trailers as there a better tires, less side wall flex when in cross winds and allow for more stable trailer due to it!
just make sure you also know the speed rating, as not all tires have the same ratings and these days, many tow WAY past trailer tires speed ratings!

SHOOT2KILL

2021 7x16 enclosed...205/75/15...10 ply...Load Range "E"...Max Spec psi 80#...I run them @65psi...Total Weight of the trailer and sleds is 3800#...

indy_500

I have the same size tire as you, and put load range E 10 plys on as I cram 3 mountain sleds in my 2 place clamshell often. 90 psi max, I run 75 psi with 3 sleds and 60 psi with 2 sleds. They wear hard on the inside so if I ran it any higher it would probably be worse. Just had my buddy flip my tires inside out to get some more miles out of them.

goofy600

I have the same size tire as you, and put load range E 10 plys on as I cram 3 mountain sleds in my 2 place clamshell often. 90 psi max, I run 75 psi with 3 sleds and 60 psi with 2 sleds. They wear hard on the inside so if I ran it any higher it would probably be worse. Just had my buddy flip my tires inside out to get some more miles out of them.
You know the reason you are getting inside tire wear is because the axle is bent or flexing causing that type of wear.

yamadooed

ST tires just list cold fill psi for the max tire load rating.
I'd fill it to that then reduce it down in 5psi increments when traveling normally loaded and check wear and heat with a temp gun. (keep the logged data for reference and adjusting)
Best to do the engineering yourself as I'd guess triton and the tire manufacture haven't run your trailer combination for testing.

Indy it really sounds if your axle is is overloaded, bent or just worn out (torsion).

indy_500

You know the reason you are getting inside tire wear is because the axle is bent or flexing causing that type of wear.
This is my 2nd Triton clamshell since 2014 and both have worn this same way. The first trailer I sold with around 15,000 miles, and the current one has around 15,000 miles on it as well. Sure the axle could be bent, sure the torsion could be worn, but both were purchased new and have done the same thing so I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. The current trailer has 2 trips out west on it, 7000 miles combined for both trips Doing 85 mph on the interstate.

goofy600

I will agree as long as you keep an eye on it. To me that might go back to the other tread about triton trailers.

old abe

Just replaced my Triton trailer tires and made a mistake and ordered LOAD E (90 PSI) rather then LOAD C (50 PSI)that was on it. Wondering if I can lower PSI for a smoother ride. I only ask as I have heard guy do this, but not sure. Maybe I wont even notice the difference but feel it will be rougher.
I use the right size, and load rated trailer tires for the load, plus trailer weight, and gear loaded in the trailer. I then will adjust tire pressure, up, or down, in order to get the proper wear. This has always worked well for us.

latner

This is my 2nd Triton clamshell since 2014 and both have worn this same way. The first trailer I sold with around 15,000 miles, and the current one has around 15,000 miles on it as well. Sure the axle could be bent, sure the torsion could be worn, but both were purchased new and have done the same thing so I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. The current trailer has 2 trips out west on it, 7000 miles combined for both trips Doing 85 mph on the interstate.
I wouldn't brag about doing 85 pulling a trailer

mrbb

95% of sled trailers heading across I-80 and I-90 are typically doing 80+mph.
I can agree, but that doesn;'t make it safe or the right thing to be doing, many trailer tires(heck even some car/truck tires are not rated for speeds folks drive at today) are NOT rated for them speeds, yet folks tow at them, heck a lot of states have laws about towing and have lower speeds set for when towing, yet folks still go faster, and that again doesn;t make it right
get in an accident or cause a serious injury from it, and you might end up in legal troubles, just like towing an over weighted trailer, the legal side of things can kick in, and can even void insurance coverage pending legal actions/findings!

no bash here just saying!

dakota

Maximum rated air pressure is for maximum load rating of the tires. since you had a range c, and assuming that was enough for the load you are now nowhere near the maximum of your new tires. so yes, you can run them lower than maximum. look at how they set as you lower the pressure and just don't let them squat and wear on the side-wall. i would think 70 psi would be a good number, but watch how they set and watch the wear pattern until you know for sure.