Traveling by sled

Anyone ever rode from Mercer, Wisconsin to Bessemer, Michigan or Mass City? How many miles and can you do it in a day? Planning a backpack trip over 5 days. Possibly leaving from Mercer and riding to Copper Harbor and back, staying in places along the way. Any good advise or routes. The people that I'm riding with are looking for 150-200 miles a day.

Cat600

Not that I have ever done that, but it is something I am interested in doing some year. Going from my 1 aunt's house in Manitowish Waters to another aunt's house up north of Houghton.

There use to be older threads on here about people who have done it, something like a 5-7 hour trip 1 way, depending on how often you stop or if you gun it the whole time.

Bessemer or Mass City wouldn't be that bad of a ride though.

Dgoz

That's all my group does first and last night in the same hotel and then we play it by ear through some stuff in a backpack and go most of the time we get 200 miles a day.

whitedust

Mercer to Mass City easy ride day 1 ....Bessemer 1/2 day at most lots of routes try to stay off grades get there too quickly. Day 2 Keewee stay there enjoy all the trails no hurry do loops. You have lots of time to enjoy slow pace ride & play.

600rev

rode from lac du flambeau to houghton/hancock (ramada) about 5 years ago. stopped for breakfast in mercer..few stops along the way for gas, lunch etc. we still made ramada by 3:00 ish pm if i remember correctly. we left LDF at 7 am. it was like 0 degrees that morning. rail grade was tight and like riding on I-80 that morning all the way from LDF to Hurley. had a blast!

Good to hear, sounds like we can travel further than I thought in a day. I have been staying at the Ramada in Hancock for the past 15 years so I am familiar with all the trails in the peninsula. We do want to play a little along the way. I have always wanted to do a trip like this, sounds like we could start further south than Mercer and still fit it into our time frame.

1-snowbullet

Me and Buds planned a trip from Marathon City (( By wausau )) To Houghton Mich Left New Years day .. One leaked out toatally To Cold to go for him .. I made it to Chawamigan Nat forest 137 miles And Froze Myself Due to Damp Clothing And called wife to come get me .. Ok started at 5:30 Am got to intersection 122 out of rib falls waited 1/2 hr in -13 below for other bud to show up said heck with it took off .. he missed me by 15 min i guess .. Prentis By 8Am went to motel where other bud stayed over night warmed up a bit gassed up took off stopped at Northern Air For lunch Called bud that was left behind He said he was on his way would meet at my Parents in laws off of Springstead Road !! he showed up I had enough of the cold 137 miles in .. Ok Rick And Phil took off around 2:30 Pm and kept going all the way 9:30 pm They were in houghton Mich Super -8 350 miles toatal from Marathon Wi. to Houghton Mich doing speed limit or less one day ride .. They are still up there heading twards Big Bay then Back as of friday 1-3-14.. Long Cold Ride .. I would have made it But I also leaked out due to damp clothing from prior riding days before .. STAY DRY Stay Warm .. Enjoy Keep the rubber side down Tripping is fun if you are dry !!

I'm hoping temps are in the teens for our journey. Nothing has been finalized yet, so our starting point is still up for grabs. Sounds like we may be able to stay two night in Houghton or Copper Harbor and play around before we make the two day ride back.