triple carb tuning

tourguide

So i took the carbs of my 600 triple polaris (round slides) to replace the carb boots and clean them up. Noticed that the center carb throttle and idle air screws were farther out than the other 2 carbs. Think I should set or sync them all properly since they are easy to get to now. Never done this before, should I set throttle stops or idle air first? I have one of those vacuum gauges that you hold over the carb inlet but not sure exactly how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated< thanks.

kraven700

So i took the carbs of my 600 triple polaris (round slides) to replace the carb boots and clean them up. Noticed that the center carb throttle and idle air screws were farther out than the other 2 carbs. Think I should set or sync them all properly since they are easy to get to now. Never done this before, should I set throttle stops or idle air first? I have one of those vacuum gauges that you hold over the carb inlet but not sure exactly how to use it. Any advice would be appreciated< thanks.

1) First, use a drill bit, approx 1/4" (varies with your set-up) to get the slides at the same height, (place blunt end of bit between bottom of carb bore and slide cut-away)

2) Check top of carbs to make sure the slide caps are tightened about the same amount

3) Then with carbs installed and air box off (using a mirror if necessary) adjust the cable free-play until you get all three carb slides to "start moving" at EXACTLY the same time when you depress the throttle lever

racerx

I used to do mine exactly as kraven700 described works like a charm, just takes a little patience. I was surprised how far they were off when I starting using that method.

tourguide

Kraven, did what you suggested, all is ok except it idles at about 3 grand, should i just back off throttle stops until it comes back into reality?