Trying to tame a squeak!

slednek

Hey, new ATV guy here - need some expert advice. What better site is there than John Dee right? I thought is was time to remove my snow plow from my 07 Grizzly the other day (might be premature for this spring I know). but while putting it back in the garage I heard squeaking come from the axles/wheels. Please point me in the right direction for proper maintenance to eliminate said squeak. Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

mrbb

ok here's my suggestion, take a close look at all your axle rubber boots(cover the CV joints) IF any have any tears or holes in them, water can get in and that will lead to a dry joint, which will end up ruining the axle joint on your
good news is they sell new boots and CV joints rather cheap and not that hard to replace
I'd start here, as wheel bearings shouldn;t go dry as easy as these CV joints do!, due to they boot again are prone to get damaged!
wheel bearings are way more protected!
another thing, will be A arm bushings and shock bushings
you can buy a can of dry teflon spray and spray the bushings and shocks, and then rock things to see if squeak stops or not
Teflon spray will NOT collect dust like other things(oils and such) thus why I recommend it!

slednek

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get out there this weekend to try these and hopefully eliminate the squeak(s)!

renegade

Wheel bearings do go dry and will squeak. You can buy weel bearing greasers for atv and sxs to repack them.

mrbb

Wheel bearings do go dry and will squeak. You can buy wheel bearing greasers for atv and sxs to repack them.

yes they do go bad, and I HIGHLY suggest if you BUY any bearings these days, to pick the dust cover off and make sure they actually have grease in them from the factory,
cannot tell you how many I have opened up to find almost barren of grease from the factory
I guess that is how they know they will sell more when then fail soon down the road?
have seen this in all different brands of bearings in the ATV/MX world too

slednek

Hey wanted to give an update on my squeaks! I got busy with life and never got back to the forum. I replaced the wheel bearings and the squeak is gone. Thank you to all that responded with suggestions and advice.