Twin Lakes, Sidnaw, Bruce Crossing, Twin Lakes loop

garyl62

Doing this Saturday. Staying at D's and dropping down to the Weenie Roast with the Sno Valley Riders club. Mrs Runningbear gave some feedback in the events area, but I've always heard 109 is poor the farther south you go. Same story this year? When does it start getting rough? About how far from Twin Lakes to Sidnaw? We ride with a couple diabetic guys so we need to plan breaks and food. Any idea how long this loop is?

whitedust

Buddy went thru all of 109 yesterday with Club said it was great. Food at Sidnaw Eats.

Last edited:

edge800

109 is usually good this time of year. U can stop in Alston to warm up it's about half way. I'm guessing but I think it's close to 50 miles one way. Should be a nice ride through.

How is the Sturgeon Valley Overlook on trail 109? Never been over in that area, was wondering how the view and the falls were.
thanks

D

Deleted member 10829

109 only gets better the further south you go in my experience, provided the snow is good.

garyl62

Thanks everyone. Plenty of positive replies for sure, looks like we'll be taking 109 south to 8, west to 3, north to 13 and loop back to 3 to head home to D's. Depending on how early we start will most likely hit Sidnaw to eat but is Sidnaw Eats the same as Sidnaw Station? Guessing not, both good or one stand out a little more than the other?

Planning to hit the Sno Valley Weenie roast like I said, anyone else going to be there?

whitedust

The station is limited has pizza maybe something else more of a drinking bar than anything else. Sidnaw Eats has a large food menu no booze.

goofy600

Gary total trip should be 125 to 150 probably closer to low side d's too Alston about 30-35 and if any part is bad which it shouldn't be this time of year would be on 109 from the power lines about 3-5 miles north of Alston to the trail split of 109 and 12 which is about7-9 miles south of Alston the rest is almost always good because it is forest roads and railroad grades. I will do that loop but from watersmeet a couple times a year because trails are usually good.

slimcake

The station is limited has pizza maybe something else more of a drinking bar than anything else. Sidnaw Eats has a large food menu no booze.

We stopped for gas in sidnaw and the place was completely remodeled. Serving homemade pizza and drinks and I thought burgers ect as well. Said the pizza was second to none. Couple nice older gals running the place. Sure was different than the last time we stopped....

whitedust

We stopped for gas in sidnaw and the place was completely remodeled. Serving homemade pizza and drinks and I thought burgers ect as well. Said the pizza was second to none. Couple nice older gals running the place. Sure was different than the last time we stopped....

No burgers I know of no grill just convection oven. ...maybe will add grill next year don't know.

we just got back last night. Sunday we rode from Houghton, filled up at Krupps, took 109 south and stopped at bar in Kenton, then in Sidnaw to warm up the kids. 109 was money the whole way. That first leg from TL to Kenton we saw 4 sleds. Great job groomers on the trails. The Sidnaw station is very nice and a great pitstop.