Typical Power Hook-ups in Campgrounds

garyl62

I know there are usually 20 and 30 amp hook-up at most campsites, more and more have 50 amps as well, but I to make sure my home-made trailer hook-up will be correct when I hit that first campground.

I'm only planning on a 20 amp service and I'm wondering if the outlet to plug into is a typical straight blade with ground (2 verticals) or are they usually dedicated 20 amp outlets with one of the straight blades vertical and one horizontal?

If they are the latter option, what do you use for a extension cord to the trailer? Easy enough to make my own, but can't seem to find one to buy with the horizontal blade set-up.

Thanks

jr37

It has been my experience that most campgrounds have a 50 amp hook and 1 or 2 typical straight blade 20 amp hooks. I have not come across one I couldn't hook up to.

srt20

Yeah I usually see a 50, 30, and one or two straight blade 20 amps on the pedestals.

garyl62

I was over thinking this. I dedicated 20 amp plug many times has a horizontal blade. The outlet almost always has a combo receptacle. I was thinking the outlet would have the horizontal opening, when in fact it could be the cord you plug in. Obviously I'll just use a standard cord that can carry the proper load and the 20 amp outlet will probably look like the one on the right while a typical 15 amp looks like the one on the left.

15 and 20 amp rec.jpg

Need to quite planning this out and just finish the stupid thing!

mezz

You need what is referred to as a "Dog Bone". It's an adaptor plug that converts the 30/50 amp plug to standard plug in.-Mezz

garyl62

Thanks Mezz, everywhere I'm going has 20 amp hook-ups so for now I'm ok with just a typical heavy duty extension cord.