Unlike Anything Else

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're gearing up for AirVenture in Oshkosh, the week of July 25th.

We're about an hour and a half north of Milwaukee, about 45 minutes south of Green Bay on Interstate 41, you can't miss it.
If this is not on your Bucket List, it should be.... featuring Warbirds, Current Military, Recreation, and Commercial, up close and personal.

This will be my 7th year at the EAA Fly-In. I work in the Logistics end of things, moving people, food, and beverage for more than 600.000 visitors. The days are long but it's a rewarding experience. I've met people from all over the world and made many friends. Kids 18 and under get in free.

For ticket information click here; https://www.eaa.org/airventure

If you choose to join us, here's some video from last year's event.

Hope to see you there!

jshabadu

Thanks Gary. I have probably only missed a half-dozen or so years since it was moved to Wittman Field in 1970... a lot has changed since then. Even as a child, it was our 'Summer Vacation". If you anyone has even the slightest interest in aviation, AirVenture should be on your bucket list. It truly is an amazing event!

Last edited:

BigSix

Totally agree! My dad was a private pilot and introduced the 'Fly In' to me in the 1980s. I have been there at least 5 times. Took my dad and my son there in 2007 (I think) when they brought in the Airbus A380. We stood next to it and felt like ants! It was HUGE. Warbirds show is fantastic.

mrbb

I always wanted to make a trip to this show
for a long time, my best friends father used to go every yr, had his own plane and offered to take me dozens of times
, but could never get the time off work to go
my friends father passed away a few yrs back, and every time I hear of this show I think of him, and wish I would have gone with him one time!

OH< the things in life we look back and wish we could do over again differently!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day One is in the books, at least for me, I pulled an early shift 6 a.m. at Wittman Regional. I'm not a fan of getting up at 4:30 but there is nothing like the out of doors at that time of day. The air smells fresh and the quietness of Mother Nature is something to treasure. The following link takes you to the air show in real time. Click on the link and it'll take you to 4 or 5 different cameras that are panning their specific areas, Warbirds, Vintage, Air Show, etc. The cameras run in real time 24 hours a day. The three that I mention probably show you the best scope and size of AirVenture. So pull up a chair, pour a beverage and enjoy the view. It's how they roll in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

wisco-mb

The air traffic on Sunday was crazy. I'm directly north of Portage by a couple miles, and must be in pretty big fly zone. Plane after plane all day long. My boy loved it! Saw quite a few running side by side.
I'll have to get up to it some day. We've watched some of it from the Fox River on the boat.

Gary - How's traffic on 41? I'm heading up to Crivitz on Thursday, and debating avoiding 41 around that area. Thinking of jumping on 10 or 29.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The air traffic on Sunday was crazy. I'm directly north of Portage by a couple miles, and must be in pretty big fly zone. Plane after plane all day long. My boy loved it! Saw quite a few running side by side.
I'll have to get up to it some day. We've watched some of it from the Fox River on the boat.

Gary - How's traffic on 41? I'm heading up to Crivitz on Thursday, and debating avoiding 41 around that area. Thinking of jumping on 10 or 29.
I'd hate to stear you wrong, no pun intended. The way they do it locally is that the right lane and middle lane are for exiting 41 near the airport. The far left lane is for Thru Traffic. But it's going to be slower than normal Interstate Speeds. If it were me I'd probably take 39 up and then crossover on whichever you choose. Travel safely either way you go.

By the way, Portage is the beginning of what they call the "Fisk Approach". It's what most all the private air traffic use as their final approach for Oshkosh. They line them up nose to tail and land them one after another. That's why you saw a lot of traffic on Sunday. The big commercial and military stuff comes from all directions.

Gary

wisco-mb

I'd hate to steer you wrong, no pun intended. The way they do it locally is that the right lane and middle lane are for exiting 41 near the airport. The far left lane is for Thru Traffic. But it's going to be slower than normal Interstate Speeds. If it were me I'd probably take 39 up and then crossover on whichever you choose. Travel safely either way you go.

By the way, Portage is the beginning of what they call the "Fisk Approach". It's what most all the private air traffic use as their final approach for Oshkosh. They line them up nose to tail and land them one after another. That's why you saw a lot of traffic on Sunday. The big commercial and military stuff comes from all directions.

Gary
Thanks for info! I'll avoid it all together then!

Ah I see. I figured there was a method for the madness!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Original Side by Side, All Wheel Drive
Jeep1.jpg

I found this one parked early one morning at the Air Show.
I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I had the room to store it.​

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
AirVenture 22.jpg
Another AirVenture is in the books. We welcomed 650,446 visitors this year and that is a new attendance record. It was noted that there was an increase in families this year, thanks to Boeing, everyone under 18 got in for free.

So after 7 straight days in the epicenter, you can stick a fork in me. I'll be in the man cave with a cocktail if anyone is looking for me and we'll see ya again next year!