UP conditions north and south of hancock?

Skidoome2

If there is anyone still riding with the recent snowfall could you give a report on Kewanee conditions? Looks like more snow coming this week with favorable temps so thinking of making a trip up from IA for a last ride. I know no groomers are running but heard trails stay open as long as there is snow to ride on. Thanks in advance!

radsrh

Snowmobile trails close April 1st any riding after that date is considered trespassing not only could result in tickets but also loosing trails by pissing off landowners. That being said multipurpose trails would still be open like the Bill Nichols trail.

Skidoome2

Thanks. That's where we would ride... Multiuse... We don't ride closed trails.
Snowmobile trails close April 1st any riding after that date is considered trespassing not only could result in tickets but also loosing trails by pissing off landowners. That being said multipurpose trails would still be open like the Bill Nichols trail.

Jonger1150

Yup.... Just have to stick to public land. Michigan state forest and federal land doesn't close.

Private land leases have ended though and you could have your sled impounded.

If this storm on Tuesday-Wednesday pans out in the lower peninsula... I might head up to ride state/national forest trails.

Snirtdawg

Are there other multi use trails than Bill Nichols? Does that run from Mass City to almost Copper Harbor? We are thinking of coming up this week as well. More snow in the forecast for Wednesday.

Skidoome2

I am not sure about Freda Loop but I think the Copper Co trail to Copper Harbor is multiuse so I think you can ride from Mass to Copper Harbor on trail 3. To be safe would dial the DNR. My guess is most private trails will have closed gates.

bladeguy

I am not sure about Freda Loop but I think the Copper Co trail to Copper Harbor is multiuse so I think you can ride from Mass to Copper Harbor on trail 3. To be safe would dial the DNR. My guess is most private trails will have closed gates.[/QUOTE

Yeah I don't think it's too much of a worry up there. I think they just go from snowmobile to four wheeler trails....

eao

Trails that have been exposed to the sun quickly melt to bare ground. The season is over, maybe some stretches with snow cover but not worth the trip.

radsrh

I am not sure about Freda Loop but I think the Copper Co trail to Copper Harbor is multiuse so I think you can ride from Mass to Copper Harbor on trail 3. To be safe would dial the DNR. My guess is most private trails will have closed gates.[/QUOTE

Yeah I don't think it's too much of a worry up there. I think they just go from snowmobile to four wheeler trails....

Well snowmobile are snowmobile only trails and multi use trails are multi use. Don't mistake a seasonal only snowmobile trail as a ATV trail they cross private property and you will be trespassing

dawolf

Does anyone know of a link to all the multi-purpose trails that can be ridden? May save some headaches from accidental trespassing.

bladeguy

Trails that have been exposed to the sun quickly melt to bare ground. The season is over, maybe some stretches with snow cover but not worth the trip.

It's not over 'till we say its over! Was it over when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor?

jasonk3aa

Yes, its easy. Go to here

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html

This has all the multiuse trail maps in the U.P. available to download.

I can tell you that in Twin Lakes area you are Safe from Mass City to Houghton and most of the Freda trail until you get to the lake. Plus there are a million forest roads that can be ridden in between.

If you dont have super high expectations, it will be worth it to visit. This is the same story every April, people say the season is over and trails are done but what you will find is no traffic, untouched snow in the woods and some water to cross that is usually more fun than annoying. Its probably more dry now than it usually is for the first two weeks of December when we cross all kinds of water in the area.

bladeguy

Yes, its easy. Go to here

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html

This has all the multiuse trail maps in the U.P. available to download.

I can tell you that in Twin Lakes area you are Safe from Mass City to Houghton and most of the Freda trail until you get to the lake. Plus there are a million forest roads that can be ridden in between.

If you dont have super high expectations, it will be worth it to visit. This is the same story every April, people say the season is over and trails are done but what you will find is no traffic, untouched snow in the woods and some water to cross that is usually more fun than annoying. Its probably more dry now than it usually is for the first two weeks of December when we cross all kinds of water in the area.

think it is worth crossing the bridge? Seems there is more snow south. Not sure how getting through Hancock will be...

Skidoome2

If anyone is interested my wife and I staying at Krupps. Rode to Greenland and Mass. Trails are solid with a few
Small bare spots you can navigate around, mostly flat with light chop. Heading back North to do Freda Loop. Plenty of snow. Called Vansville and the report there was small groups riding to copper and gay with same reports. Heading there tomorrow. More snow tonight.

geolith

I rode the same area yesterday and today, it's exactly as described, plenty of snow off trail. I also rode the Calumet area this morning, and they are landed locked. Put on about 65 miles , then trailered back to the Mosquito. I turned around north of Calumet because it was impassable. It is definitely better south of theb bridge.

Troutslayer

Rode Friday and Saturday, Trail 3 and Freda Loop, also logging roads. had a blast 210 miles total, stayed at Krupps. This morning was great from Krupps towards Mass City seemed like about 6 inches of fresh powder. 210 miles total in the two days, lots of fun, no one around. 4-9-16 a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

4-9-16 Trail 3 near firesteel trestles.jpg Attached is Trail 3 today