UP Fall Colors

J.Glenn

My wife and I are looking to make a trip to the UP this fall and were hoping to time it around the peak of the leaves changing colors. I have not been up there there in the fall to know timing wise, when that would be. I know many of you have been up there/live up there so I'm hoping some of you can chime in with your thoughts on generally, when the best time to go is. We're targeting October.

thanks in advance.

rph130

My wife and I are looking to make a trip to the UP this fall and were hoping to time it around the peak of the leaves changing colors. I have not been up there there in the fall to know timing wise, when that would be. I know many of you have been up there/live up there so I'm hoping some of you can chime in with your thoughts on generally, when the best time to go is. We're targeting October.

thanks in advance.
First to second week of October is normally peak. With how dry it has been this year, it might be early. Anything past second week and they are coming down in the western UP.

mezz

It's going to be a toss-up on when colors will be at their peak. Like rph130 mentioned, it's been awfully dry here in the Keweenaw, plus we have been ravaged with a catapillar infestation which has defoliated many trees, not all, but many. It will be interesting to see what happens & when.

goofy600

Where are you planning? Watersmeet area Cisco chain has had descent rain this year, yes a few trees that are stressed are changing but colors should be ok by me. Usually starting last week of September and lasting no more than first week to week and a half of October. From looking at my pictures through the years.

J.Glenn

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like timing wise that first week of October would be best, and even then could be past time due to the current weather conditions.

As for where, we don't have a specific place in mind. One are that we've talked about is on the eastern side in near the Tahquamenon Falls. Do you have any other areas you would recommend?

wiscrev

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like timing wise that first week of October would be best, and even then could be past time due to the current weather conditions.

As for where, we don't have a specific place in mind. One are that we've talked about is on the eastern side in near the Tahquamenon Falls. Do you have any other areas you would recommend?
Brockway Drive, Copper Harbor.

lofsfire

Here is my opinion, and you should know I have never been to the UP that time of year. But when I think of Fall colors I think of the wide panoramic vista overlooking a nice valley tree tops... Eastern side is nice but much flatter overall. There are still some great vista to lookout over for that impressive viewing experience but I think less overall if you trying to make a trip out of it. Also if going by Tahquamenon Falls of course the falls themselves.

As wiscrev and whitedust said, Brockway Drive, Copper Harbor and there are a ton of falls in the UP. Here are some other spots I know would have a great view.

Eastern UP

Lots of Fall use Google Maps

Western UP

Northern LP

Topinabee Rest Area 407, I-75, Cheboygan, MI 49721

Northwest LP

Main parking area - https://goo.gl/maps/CkxpH6Gw1ayPdezZ7 (So when you open this link it says Low Bridge. There is a road that is right at the top of the hill on low Bridge Road just to the North of the actual bridge. I believe it is National Park Camping area there are some amazing views here. Easy hike from the parking area if needed but I think it can all be driven. But I've only been in winter...)
The actual overlook - https://goo.gl/maps/ASyv1z6x3XKpnd8m6 When your see it there is a very visible dirt road which I think is Pine River Road.

Main parking area - https://goo.gl/maps/fZZrwKKtj2eVU9yh7
The actual overlook - https://goo.gl/maps/QaLshmbxA3LWj7tD8

Now this is not "where" you asked about, but it is "what" you asked about... It would also fall into the Mid to late October timeframe you asked about.
Brown County, IN (Think of the Smoky Mountains on a small scale)

The State Park has lots of viewing areas:

Also check out this Hard True. They have a very cool setup even with a 21+ ATV tour, or some music in the back amphitheater.

mezz

The Keweenaw Peninsula as a whole has many great viewing areas from the covered drive on US 41 to Copper Harbor & especially the view from on top of Brockway Mountain. Another great view is from on top of the ski hill Mount Bohemia in Lac LaBelle. You take the chair lift up, the view is spectacular. Brockway & Bohemia are areas you can hit in one day as they are relatively close but each has their own view.

Tim in Indiana

I didn't see this mentioned, the Copper Peak ski flying jump north of Bessemer. You can ride the chair lift from the parking lot, then the elevator about 2/3 of the way up the tower then walk the stairs the remainder. On a clear day you can see 25-30 miles in every direction. You're around 1,200 feet above lake superior when you're at the top.

And fall colors are great from there.

https://copperpeak.net/