UP for New Years

ryanslyne

I have a trip planned to the UP for New Years and being only 4 weeks away I am starting to seriously question whether that is going to happen or not. I know a lot can happen in 4 weeks but looking at John's next 10 days it doesn't look too promising. I guess we wait and see... :(

mikes99ss

I am on the fence too and I live up here. I think we are just going to make plans to go another direction. I don't want to waste all kinds of time money and effort planning a trip that may or may not happen

whitedust

I'm in neutral for next 10-15 days trail condition pieces just not falling in place. The no snow forecast would be ok if we were getting cold weather to set lakes & ground up for snowfall but warm & no snow does nothing for the cause. Right now white Xmas is 50-50 at best.

snocrazy

Lakes around here are frozen. Not thick walk on ice. But there is ice. No snow at all.
Maybe 2 inches of frost in the ground.
Gets warm during the day and cold at night.

Not even wearing the winter jackets yet. Been outside during the days working. On borrowed time. Last year the early snow caught me with my pants down.

whitedust

Understand what it takes to cancel your reservations....no costs to no money back policies. If no money back you will probably take the trip on schedule...just know... so no hurt or pissed feelings. It is going to be one of those years you get what you get & don't expect perfect UP sleddin.

ryanslyne

I live in SE WI snowmobiling is snowmobiling....Any UP conditions are generally better than the SE WI conditions on any given day I would say 90% of the times a poor to good rating in the UP is better than our good to excellent rating. Only time I have ever seen our trails excellent down here is when we get a big dumping and it manages to stay cold for a week or longer. If next week plays out and it stays cold I would bet our group ends up rolling up for New Years. A lot of IFs though.

RS

upbarleyboy

As depressing as this is, the short term news isn't good either. Accuweather projections say the strong El Nino is projected to keep its' grip on the Midwest and East through at least Xmas and possibly into the first of the year. It's looking like a nonexistent December for riding. Let's hope with the flip of the calendar comes the polar vortex push from the north. When it does decide to finally flip, highways leading to the northwoods are going to look like the main entrance of a high school :30 seconds after the final bell on the last day of school.

ryanslyne

Starting to think the New Year's trip might be getting cancelled. I guess we will see what temps do behind the lake effect snow this week. But it is starting to look not very promising.

rs

jedoyle

Yep, I am in the same boat. We have a trip planned for over New Years in the UP. No snow on ground. Lakes not frozen over. Heck ground probably isn't frozen very solid. If I was a betting man I would say it ain't gonna happen but you just never know. Saying a prayer...

timo

I would say if you had plans for northern wis. you should be worried but the UP can get 40 inches of snow in a couple of days. gonna be busy if that happens.

ryanslyne

If the UP gets 40" of snow between now and new years that would be great....but it will be a ____show up there if that happens.

ryanslyne

Yeah I cancelled my trip yesterday. Don't want to deal with the zoo if they do get the snow and conditions somehow hold. But I would imagine the swamps are going to be a nightmare, no lakes frozen, minimal snow, and a million people in one spot sounds like a terrible time. I will push back so some other time in January...hopefully conditions will improve.

sledneck

Same boat as well, trying to decide if I need to cancel or not. Really hoping I don't but have a feeling I am going to have to. Just don't think it will be worth the 10 hour drive from southwest lower mi, to Mass City with minimal snow or non frozen conditions.

We have a trip planned for the week of January 11th and I would be willing to bet we cancel also. I just don't see sustainable cold weather to keep conditions good. Sure hope I am wrong!!!!

larboc

What's on the ground now is the equivalent of 6" of normal snow packed down and there's snow in the forecast. I would hold out another week or two if possible before cancelling. I went for a ride around my yard and didn't hit much dirt.

ryanslyne

I pushed my trip back a week. Instead of going 1st through 5th now going 6th to 10th. Hopefully with the snow in the forecast things get better. We all wait and see now.

RS

sledneck

What's on the ground now is the equivalent of 6" of normal snow packed down and there's snow in the forecast. I would hold out another week or two if possible before cancelling. I went for a ride around my yard and didn't hit much dirt.

Thanks for the Info! I will hold off long as possible.
Where are you located? What is Boston by.