UP motorcycle tour

kirk600

Hello all,

I am planning a four day motorcycle trip around the UP, starting in St Ignace and headed clockwise thru Iron Mountain, up to Copper Harbor, down towards Munising, and over to Sault St Marie and back down to the Mighty Mac. Does anyone have recommendations for lodging, sights, or even areas to avoid? We are going to do this ride August 10-13. Hope to ride aboout 200 miles a day. We even talked about taking the ferry over to Drummond Island, but I dont know whats there..........
I am hoping others here can share some tips, beware of speed traps was my first!

thanks,

Kirk600

Bradzoo

Did this last fall for a color tour 1st of Oct., we went from St. Ignace to Lake Gogebic day 1, then to Wakefield through Porkies to Copper Harbor and back to Houghton day 2, Houghton to Newberry day 3, Paradise the Soo, Detour, back to St Ignace day 4. Get on the UP Cruisin web sight and order one of they're books breaks down all the best roads by area, places to stay, eat and drink, plus events goin on. www.upcruisin.com

Bradzooooo

Bradzoo

We just got back from the Yoop yesterday, Take your leathers!, Muskegon on friday 94 degrees, Manistique sunday morning 42 degrees!!!

Bradzooooo

kirk600

Thanks for the reply Brad,

by the way, that link is not correct. Would love to hear from others on routes taken. We hope to support those that support John Dee's website.

snowdance

Make sure to take H58 between Munising an Grand Marais. Also, I'd highly recommend staying at the Running Bear Resort in Paulding. http://runningbearresort.com We stayed there last year on the final night of our week long motorcycle trip around Lake Superior. Linda took our menu ahead of time and purchased all the food ahead of time ready in the fridge for us to cook when we got there. So, we could just relax, cook dinner and enjoy the evening. Even had homemade pie she got from down the road!

Pizza Man

I agree on H-58 Munising to GM Then go down to Seney and over to Newberry. If you go north of Seney to Paridise, stop at Ozwalds Bear farm, neat place.

polarisrider1

What are the dates. I am heading up to St. Ignace on Aug.2 and doing similiar trip with 9 of us going. We are an hour north of Kzoo.
Brad is correct with the UP cruising guide. they are free at the welcome centers but if you want the discounts the card is $10 for lifetime membership.

Last edited:

kirk600

I agree on H-58 Munising to GM Then go down to Seney and over to Newberry. If you go north of Seney to Paridise, stop at Ozwalds Bear farm, neat place.

thats the reason we planned this trip. that road has been a favorite on sleds for years (H-58) so might as well enjoy it in the summer too.

polarisrider1

no problem, maybe next time. BTW your old 600 switchback is still running strong...........
Here's a couple pics of it. That sled has been to Togwotee a view times. 5 states and Canada.

Attachments

• 1207.jpg
    1207.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 812.jpg
    812.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 18
  • 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 14

kirk600

I will get some pics up soon, i promise. We had a great trip, and heading home tomorrow. We took H-58 twice, 26 into Copper Harbor and 41 back out. Awesome roads and great weather. 728 miles in just over 2 days. Today we loaded up and dodged the rain for the most part, just wet roads and a few sprinkles. And no laws were broken that i can recall. Met some great folks and always told them about this site. Most of them heard of it already!!!