UP Vacation Ideas

Cat_man

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some great suggestions from you fellow John Dee followers.

My wife and I are thinking of taking our two kids (6 yr. girl, 4 yr. boy) on a U.P. vacation to let them see some great scenery and have fun. The only time I have been up there has been to snowmobile. What are some great spots for a family to visit? I'm in southern MN, so I don't want to go too far into the UP, we're probably looking at 5 hrs. to Ironwood. Not sure I want to tackle 7 hrs. with a couple young kids. I'll take any and all suggestions. The kids love the outdoors, and would love to go on a pontoon ride and maybe fish a little bit.

Thanks in advance.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Lots to see in the Porcupine Mountains. Beautiful sand beaches, scenic vistas (Lake of the Clouds, Summit Peak), water falls (Presque Isle) and some neat hiking trails. Lots of beautiful beach between the porkies and Ontonagon too. I'm not sure how long you plan to stay in the UP, but you could spend around 2 days there and then perhaps head a little further east to the Keweenaw, with much of the same, but a bit more food and lodging choices. Then maybe take a slightly different route home and drop by to see the Paulding light, Bond Falls, etc in the Watersmeet area.

-John

jr37

There is a hotel on the east end of Ashland that has a little waterpark in it. Would a good size for kids your age. Bayfield and the Apostle Islands, that would give the kids a boat ride. Ironwood is not really a kids town. Stay west in WI more, or head northeast more towards the Keeweenaw.

Cat_man

The Dells was our first option and makes perfect sense, I think the reason I want to head north is because I miss the U.P. so dang much!

ezra

sounds great 5 hrs in the car are we there yet. then the what is there to do out here I am board starts.
kids don't give a rats ars about scenery unless there is a bear or moose in it.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughters first trip to the U.P. with us was when she was 4, we have a 4-5 hour drive ourselves. Our first long weekend was to the Porkies, 2 years later we started our annual week long vacation with another buddy and his two kids. We have been doing that ever since, along with a long weekend in the fall. My daughter, now 17 and going to college next month, is currently on her way home from the Twin Lakes/Houghton/Calumet/Copper Harbor area, from a 3 day weekend with 3 of her friends. They had a blast!

scott_b

041.jpg 050.jpg 045.jpg My kids are 2.5 and 5.5 yrs old, they love the UP in summer: boating, swimming, walking in the woods, fires, sitting on the back deck having beverages and snacks, etc. More than anything though I think they like having my undivided attention. John's suggestions are great ones, all things we do regularly. I would also suggest heading down to Lake Gogebic and renting a boat for the day.

Cat_man

Great pics Scott and thanks for the suggestion/ideas. That's exactly what I was thinking of when I posted the question. My kids don't need all the expensive thrills of a Wisconsin Dells, just hanging out with the family and having fun. That's all that matters.

favorite place in the UP for summer vacation is the les cheneaux islands. just sit on the dock, let the kids play on the beach, drink whatever. Big smallies and perch too.

krupps_resort

TWIN LAKES-We have cabins on a very nice lake-excellent for kids to swim (gradual decline/sandy bottom) great for fishing. Alot of repeat customers. We've experienced little ones in diapers and still coming when they have children of their own. Some families have grown from needing one cabin to needing 3 cabins. Others come as relatives from different parts of our wonderful USA for their annual weekly reunion. Makes me happy for them when they arrive and are hugging each other and sad for them a week later when they're hugging to depart. Centrally located for Porcupine Mountains and Copper Harbor or many other places and things to sight-see. Even the kids tell the parents they want to come back. Many have started out as a weeks vacation, others have stretched it to 2 week vacations and still not ready to leave. Some people we see once a year while others we see couple or more times a year in different seasons. We've been blessed with making alot of friends - extended family is what we call it
Sandy (UPmom) & Richard

jr37

TWIN LAKES-We have cabins on a very nice lake-excellent for kids to swim (gradual decline/sandy bottom) great for fishing. Alot of repeat customers. We've experienced little ones in diapers and still coming when they have children of their own. Some families have grown from needing one cabin to needing 3 cabins. Others come as relatives from different parts of our wonderful USA for their annual weekly reunion. Makes me happy for them when they arrive and are hugging each other and sad for them a week later when they're hugging to depart. Centrally located for Porcupine Mountains and Copper Harbor or many other places and things to sight-see. Even the kids tell the parents they want to come back. Many have started out as a weeks vacation, others have stretched it to 2 week vacations and still not ready to leave. Some people we see once a year while others we see couple or more times a year in different seasons. We've been blessed with making alot of friends - extended family is what we call it
Sandy (UPmom) & Richard

Not only that, but they have the best Pasties! Walked out of the mini mart with 16 of them this past weekend. :)

krupps_resort

jr37-Thank you - always nice to hear positive. Richard & I actually sold the store 9 1/2 yrs. ago but new owners wanted to keep the name to continue the reputation. New Owner Deb actually worked for us 1 1/2 years so she knew what she was getting in to. LOL Yep, those pasties have a reputation of their own as well as all of their other home-made foods. Have one of the breakfast burritos and you'll be sure to return for another one. Of course, the strudels hit the taste buds every time, also. And just a nice walk from the cabins.

Woodtic

I started taking my kids to the UP in 06. My oldest son starts school next month at UWSP,majoring in wildlife biology. He hopes to graduate and live/work,in the UP. I know it's just a 18 year olds dream, but I,m sure glad I brought him up there.